Yup, another woven runner question.

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Lo Down, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

The stairway has one landing requiring a 45 degree miter.
    Would it be wise or unwize to attempt a match?

Since it's all stripes and the miter will be quite evident anyway, and my brain says a perfect match is not possible, but a partial one could be................. partial, meaning some of the longer stripes will match at the center of the runner, but not at the edges. :hu:

As I recall, the longest stripes in this rug are about 5 or inches long.
    Pattern is 39.36" W by 37.8"L
    The runner has a 4 1/2" borders.

Karastan - Make a statement. Your own.™

Customer doesn't want a pad on these stairs. They feel the crug has enough cushion all by itself.
    I feel some kind of non slip padding is better than not having one. I'm thinking of the kind made for area rugs and runners on a hardwood floor..... he kind that looks like a non slip shelf liner for RV's. I figure it would keep the carpet from getting baggy over time in the middle of the riser where all the traffic is.

Attached Files:

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would 45 it and put it together. On most of the steps like this that I do we use rughold, one is a flat grid non skid type and the other one is 3/16 thick with a rubber surface on the bottom and a fuzzy/grip type of surface on the top. The latter is mostly what we use.

3. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

We've done quite well this this product range. This a beautiful design and the 70's retro colors are perfect! Do a 45 degree miter. it will look a lot better than you would think. And for goodness sake, use a cushion!

The customer is only looking at one tiny aspect while missing several large ones. :yesss: The main one being wear. A good fiber cushion will almost double the life of the carpet on the stairs. Tell them the truth, the cushion is not their to make their feet feel soft, it's their to support and extend the life and beauty of the carpet!!! It's about performance over comfort!

Dobby

PS: Randy, please do me a personal favor, close you eyes and smell the surface of this carpet before you install it and tell me what you smell. :hmmm:

4. Lo Down

I have used that type before. I think a version made by Karastan. Maybe the same material. Tan rubber with a man made grey felt on top?

I didn't make myself clear. It will have a 45 miter in it. (If the customer decides to make the purchase)
    My question was if I should try to match the pattern when I do the miter. Since the pattern width and length are about 1 1/2" different, an exact match is not possible.
    I was just wondering if I should have the retailer order enough extra to bother with the match ........... or should I just randomly wack out a couple of 45's and pasted em together. :eek: ;)

Thanks fellas.

Dobby.................. I won't sniff it in front of the customer or the retailer

5. bigpineguy

bigpineguy Pro Member

Lo Down,
    I don't think that you would need to match the exact pattern as the stripes themselves will give you the 45 look anyways, giving the look of the carpet changing direction, just match up the stripes in the 45 , and that should be good to go..

BPG~

6. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Pattern match on a miter would, at best, only match in the center point and go steadily off as moving out from center. While the basis of your question is sound, on this particular design, an exact match is not possible and a mis-match will still look great.

I've worked with this same design and color and encountered the same issue with cross seams. Just as you are now, I applied a lot of time and energy into trying to match the pattern and, in the end, the end seams that fell by chance looked just as nice as those that were planned.

This is just one of those designs that always looks good. Now I know your not used to easy products that look good no matter what, but, your just going to have to adapt. And hey, the border is a solid stripe! This is going to be a great job, the product looks absolutely stunning when it's installed and no one needs to know it was easy except us. Just be certain to use a cushion!

BTW: Being as how this product is a face-to-face wilton, it's perfect for the cool glide, unless you really-really-really want to sew it, and that's OK too. Just watch the yarn on the serged edges at the miter points and be certain to bring your camera. :)

With kindest regards,

Dobby

7. Lo Down

That's kinda what I was thinking.

There isn't a Kool Glide in the entire state, Dobby. :D I don't have a choice. Is it of any benefit to reinforce the stiiches by gluing a strip of cloth over them?

8. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

I always latex the back of the stitching .

9. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

I have to back up lo downs statement about there is not a kool glide in the state. This is funny because I was talking to Daris about the very same thing last Thursday at surfaces! We are still a bunch of podocks!

Rob

10. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:eek:...I am 10 min. from the Oregon border, and when I cross it there is a Koolglide in Oregon...:D...SO YER BOTH WRONG !!!...:poke:

11. Lo Down

Like this? I charge for seaming by the quart ;)

Attached Files:

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I saved all of those awesome pics that you had of that job. Just 45 and put it together no match. The rughold we have is blue rubber with gray on top and almost as thick as the tackstrip.

13. RFI

CP that dont count! Besides when you cross the border you become a PODOCK!

Rob

14. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:eek:..I don't feel any different...:shifty:

I just did a woven runner up four flights of stairs, and I can't fer the life of me figger out how to send the pics to myself from the online album so I can show ya guys how it is suppose to be done...:help:...stupid berry phone...:brick:

15. Lo Down

Sounds quite similar. Wish I has some tri-tac.

I wuz gonna tell him it would be an illegal move on his part trying to sneak in highly technical instruments like that............ we's just use it for a door stop cause we wouldn't know what it was.:hu:

Slide the berryphone into the zip drive and it will self load the images... no, really, it will.:cool:

16. RFI

CP you are supposed to hook the berry to the kool glide to make a hot berry. Make sure you use the high setting. :D

Rob

17. Lo Down

You aren't helpin' our image much Rob, unless Podock is some sort of slang for Einstein. It is, isn't it? :yesss:

18. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I know I'm late......but I live about 35 min from the other end of the Oregon border, so if CP and I are both in Oregon there are 2 Koolglides in the state. But I never work unlicensed in Oregon :D

b

19. Lo Down

I have an old compact microwave oven with a timer that stopped working................ hmmmmmmmm... I suppose if I removed the door and set it face down on the seam, I have a Microwaverdownnow. Unlike the Koolglide, mine would make a hot cheese sammich and heat a cup-O-noodles. :D
    ..................and roasted nuts! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  20. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

..................and roasted nuts! Wouldn't that hurt?:D