You've seen "Man vs Wild (pets, that is)"...

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Grant H, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Now see Vinyl Planks vs Hoard of "OLD" Dogs...GAK !!!!

dog pee1.jpg

dog pee2.jpg

My son and I walked in....Walked out...Got Respirators...Walked in again and started peelin'...:(. His first really smelly job :D. Ahh the gagging and coughing :eek: Of course the floor was a lovely Chip Board as well for extra absorbancy.

The homeowner didn't even notice the smell:(

We sanded it back and left it to dry out some more.

We were at home showering and getting clean kit at lunch time. Then on the next job, cranked up the sander and "Phew"...O' de Pooch pours from the sander.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

THOSE are vinyl planks??? It's extremely rare for me to type this but O - M - G!

Please, I just gotta move this to the public forums. You can't keep stuff like this from all those consumers who wonder why we are so concerned about pet damage to floors. Please, hu, can I?

3. Grant H

No Jim, that's the floor after we removed the planks. But every plank is beautifully outlined in urine.

If you want to move this be my guest.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Wow, that's still pretty horrendous. I love pets and I really miss having a dog. But even a pet that has no bladder control deserves a keeper that will clean up those messes so they don't turn a home into an environmental disaster zone. :(

5. Grant H

Sounds like we're a lot alike in that matter Jim. I love my two little dogs and yes they do have the odd accident as they are really "Inside" dogs. We chose them and our way of life so we made the decision to Vinyl our big open plan living area. It's our lounge/dining/sunroom and kitchen. We chose a "Semi-Commercial" LG wood look vinyl and have never regretted it. No scratch marks from little claws and pads under furniture feet make for easy moving. It's cool in the summer and we have an efficient wood burner for the winter. We have rugs which we change when ever we want to mix things up a bit color wise...it's great.

AND IT'S EASY TO CLEAN...:D

6. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

That's what I call liquid pets!:sick:

7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Now if the original layer had used an epoxy glue would the job would still be like brand new :D
    PS Still not looking at using epoxy on my one :)
    Customer is picking another material

8. Grant H

To be honest Jon I'm not sure. This floor has obviously been soaking...maybe stewing is a better description...since day one I think. Even the slightest gap in the planks would allow liquid to accumulate. If it didn't penetrate through epoxy into the floor it would still be there festering between the planks. Not sure that's a better alternative.

As on your job maybe a different product is just a better idea. We are replacing this one with a commercial vinyl that I can thermal weld... :D.

Still not coved all around...yet...I'm working on getting that arranged hopefully....;). She's a nice old dear and I don't mind adding a wee bit of off the clock time to get her into a better situation.

9. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

At times I think its easier to cove, even to the top of the skirting boards, than burning the paint trying to get the vinyl down, as long as you get long straight runs with the cove and not too many mitres

10. j248

j248 I Support TFP

I would be pissed off at the dogs and tell them you're in trouble...that wood work. Some people could look at that as the brand new weathered rustic premium look, with the smell of great concentration. Grant what plank are you gonna use?

11. Grant H

No Planks mate. We are replacing this one with a commercial vinyl that I can thermal weld... .

Still not coved all around...yet...I'm working on getting that arranged hopefully..... She's a nice old dear and I don't mind adding a wee bit of off the clock time to get her into a better situation.

12. j248

j248 I Support TFP

Ahh ok...welding is not my forte or threete. I always live finding stuff to learn more about

13. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

I've seen this so many times, and still wonder how this is possible.

I was carpeting a bedroom in a 'home' like this, and literally walked through splashy spots in the hall carpet where dog urine was pooled.
    This is of course after stepping over steaming piles of feces in the 'living' room.
    :(
    Social Services had forced them to replace the carpet in this, a sickly snot-dripping, three year old girl's bedroom. I can't even imagine how that room was worse than what I'd walked past.
    Thank gawd it was already demo'd, or I'd probably have walked out when I arrived. But someone needed to get this poor kid a new floor, so we masked up and went to it.

I'm nearly done, and in walks the Social Worker, who dodges the land mines in the living room, splashes right through the puddle in the hall, looks at the new carpet and says' "You folks are allright now, everything looks good. Have a nice day!"

I about cried. My helper and I pretty much rode home in stunned silence.
    :(