Yellow Marks?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Jon Scanlan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

This is a domestic type vinyl with one of those plastic type backings which has been layed in a hair dressing salon for a couple of months. The marks are around the chairs and nowhere else, The owners have tried splashing different types of products they use onto a spare piece of vinyl. They said they haven't found any of their products which will stain the vinyl. The only thing I can think which could be causing these yellow stains is the chair legs which appear to be a rubber type product. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

The marks do seem to be about the same size as the chair leg caps. It could be a chemical reaction between the rubber type leg caps and the vinyl flooring. You'd prob'ly have to have it tested to find out the exact composition of the flooring, the leg caps and any of the chemicals that might be sandwiched between them. It could just be the leg cap reaction to the vinyl floor, but it might also be a reaction between those and any one or combination of the chemicals.

In other words, I'm clueless. :D

3. Jon Scanlan

It would surprise me in a way that those chairs which are made for hair dressing salons would have leg caps which would actually stain the vinyl. I would say all these types of chairs would be sitting on a vinyl type of flooring so why would this situation be the only one we know of?
    Chairs made in China? :D

4. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Mmmm Jon did you do this did you spec the material.
    Domestic vinyl in a commercial enviroment the two don't go together.

5. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I had a Chevy van, Beauville for those who remember, and it had a carpet on the floor from the factory. My plastic tool box would get soft on the bottom when it was in contact with the carpet. I put a nylon level loop over it to protect it and the problem solved. So, I would think there is a chemical reaction from the rubber feet on the chairs and the surface of the vinyl.

6. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Pro Member

whats the subfloor?
    could be chemical reaction going on underneath the covering, and its migrating through the vinyl?
    Have seen it countless times when vinyls have been laid onto bitumen tiles etc

7. Jon Scanlan

No twomly I didn't lay the vinyl, I just got asked what I thought
    Have been told the vinyl is light commercial but I don't think the quality of the vinyl has anything to do with the stains. People like the look of a product and go for it. Might have to replace it more often though
    The vinyl was laid on a concrete slab with a smoothing compound over it

8. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

I've seen a similar thing from the rubber 'feet' on a washing machine.
    Seems a bit weird in a hair salon though as the chairs wouldn't be in the exact same spot for long.

9. Jon Scanlan

But still in the same spot near enough . They are heavy and I would say they just sweep around them, If they actually stayed in the same spot the yellow marks would be larger. One of Irvines vinyls I think but I would say any brand would do the same

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I wonder if it like those rubberbacked mats they use in bath rooms. They will turn some vinyls yellow. I used to know how to get it out but can't remember.

Daris

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Plasticizer migration into the vinyl?

12. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

I guess at the end of the day it's the installers fault, right?

13. Jon Scanlan

In this case they aren't :)
    Layer told them rubber from the chair legs and seeing I am so trust worthy and know everything about hard floorings I was asked to pass my vast amount of knowledge onto the customer if I thought it could have been the rubber from the chair legs as well
    I told them I would ask some experts from the States as to see if they have any ideas to back me up :D

14. Paul L

Paul L Pro Member

My comment was very much 'tongue in cheek'.
    It plainly is NOT an installation issue, but, ......
    Is it not always the installer who did something wrong?

15. Jon Scanlan

And so was my reply as you might have guessed :D

16. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Hair care product?

If it is a chair issue you should see at each hair dresser station with a chair.

17. Jon Scanlan

Thats what I would have thought but the hair people "SAY" they have tested the products they use on a spare piece of vinyl
    The marks are where the chairs sit though and nowhere else

18. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

But the hair people may have tried it on a new piece that has not had any traffic that has abraided the surface in anyway. Making it still sealed. Plus the fact that maybe the chair legs are forcing the stain into the surface.

Daris

19. glueit

glueit Pro Member

Yep, thats my bet. There is nothing you can do with the stained planks at this point, as in cleaning. Need to be replaced to get rid of the stain damage.
    In order to prevent it, maybe look at creating a barrier between the PVC finish of the floor and the rubber feet. As in laminating something without PVC to the bottom of the rubber feet. Or calling the chair manufacterer to see if there are other feet options that are not black rubber, as in hard plastic or ? I guess a scrap of Lino, 1/8" base, VCT or stringer material cut in a cicle and laminated to the rubber foot base might work, depending on the flex of the feet?
    I did a large store rollout years ago with a product consisting of a wood veneer laminated under a heavy pvc wear layer. I went back to inspect about ten of the forty stores after they opened. LOL, they had used red
    kids wagons to stock specials, and move around when needed. I coul see where the wagons sat in different areas, as the black rubber tires had Plasticized a perfect tire print in the floors finish.

20. Jon Scanlan

Update
    We placed one of those legs on another brand of vinyl
    Guess what?
    Yellow stains
    Hair dressers have taken $600 off the bill :mad:
    How do flooring people win when the customer has the money?
    Retailer is going to chase owners for the money as it is nothing to do with the flooring