Yarn abrasion and degrading

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Patrick R, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

I loooked at a Nylon berber and the yarn is degrading or otherwise abrading away.
    The carpet is a Soft back, the yarn is nylon, this is a berber in a family room where parts of the carpet have a problem and the rest appear ok.
    The pH is 8,
    The carpet is about 8-9 years old installed over 3/8 rebond, the sub is plywood over a full basement. no moisture,
    The customer first noticed about 3 yrs ago,
    No visible signs of abuse, cpt is fairly clean, No reflect under UV light to indicate spills. Gas forced air heat, home was a new construction.
    Loss of pile height approximately 1/4 inch mostly high rows, pile tinsle strength seems to be breaking down.

Attached Files:

2. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

Any thoughts as to what caused this?

3. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Most likely - Fiber degradation. Fiber itself was not correct. Usually caused by UV light instability. Usually is worse the closer you get to exterior windows.
    Possible - improper cleaning solutions.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If carpet is 8-9 years old why did they wait so long. I don't believe there is any type of warranty that would cover it anyway is there?

Daris

5. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

The consumer wants to correct any problems before replacing so it won't happen again.
    The carpet has been cleaned professionally since day one.
    Type of vac is an Orec. No stiff brush roll. We realize no warranty, just concerned why.

6. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Exposure to excessive exterior lighting through windows may have caused this. Was this in a localized area or directly in front of a large bank of picture windows? If not, then it was most likely just a break down in the fiber (manufacturing problem) and nothing the consumer could have taken care of. You will often find that just one of the yarn colors is really breaking down. I have usually found the solid white/off-white yarns to be dusting away and the other white/brown space dyed yarns to be OK at least in the cases of this I have encountered.

I can not imagine any way for a weak vacuum such as an Oreck to have caused this.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The area to the lower left appears to be in good condition. Was it perhaps under a sofa or chair (looks like a sharply defined traffic pattern around it).

Some good info on yarn strength here:
    YARN TESTING

I think tensile strength is not the culprit here as tensile strength is tested by the use of gradual loading. Breaking strength is more likely and it can be affected by U/V degradation.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

more pics

Here are more pictures Patrick wanted to add to the discussion.

Attached Files:

9. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

the pic in the top left corner has a square in the upper part that was under a marble table the area imediatly around it has loss of pile. This began about three years ago. The pic top right is the same pic.
    The pic in lower left is main traffic area around some furniture. The pic in lower right corner is another angle of the top left corner, loss of pile as much as 1/4 inch between the two areas. No definition of pattern in the bad areas, all the higher pile is gone.
    The pile sheds and breaks off when I try to extract a yarn for better viewing. Matting is not the issue. The natural light source is away from the problem. Recessed lighting through out the FM. RM. using Energy saver type bulbs.

10. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

Thanks to all for their input and the info direction to take on this one. I will send this one to the mill for them to decide. I beleive this is a justified claim also. There is fiber break down going on here.
    Patrick R.

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just a question.

They have enjoyed the carpet for 8-9 years, and now want to make a claim?

Is it realy worth it if the claim is prorated? They will get what, $2 a yard! Probably less than the cost of the inspection.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions on this.:confused:

12. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I doubt if they get anything. I thought carpet was figured to last approximately 5 years as people tired of it and would change it. The economy may have a bearing on the changing it.
    Style changes also change each year. Ask a retailer how often samples are thrown out and new brought in.

Daris

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Pro Member

Even if they only get a small portion of the cost, it is still more then they had before. The mill still needs to know of all problems they have in order to correct them so they won't re-occur on a more expensive cpt. I will leave it up to the dealer if they want to persue the matter. I am only the one that writes the report not the one that decides if claim is valid, thats the mills job.