WTB Wood Tack Strip Manufacturing Equipment

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell Flooring Tools and Equipment' started by Todd Prosan, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Todd Prosan

Todd Prosan Pro Member

If anyone know where i can purchase a new or used wood tack strip line i would appreciate the help.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

i have a table saw and a 10 oz hammer if you wanna make "craft" pinless :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Does this mean you are a flooring professional? You said your occupation was "Manager" but for all I know that could mean you are a manager of a fast food restaurant, or a motel or a lingerie shop. Please don't make me guess.

4. Todd Prosan

Todd Prosan Pro Member

Yes I work with a national flooring company as a purchasing agent. I would’ve thought that if I was posting on a site that was dedicated to Flooring professionals you would’ve figured that out. Sorry for making you have to question who I was

5. Todd Prosan

Todd Prosan Pro Member

Thanks for the creative suggestion

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You’re saying you’re looking for the machinery that produces tackstrip? Interesting, I don’t know what company manufactured this equipment but if you find the old Roberts machine, it was the best. Maybe Specialized brand another.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I guess you didn't notice that we have a lot of consumer and DIY members. The instructions for stating an occupation were clear to me, but I guess not to everyone. Sorry if there was any confusion.

8. Todd Prosan

Todd Prosan Pro Member

Yes I am and thank you for the suggestion of the Roberts machine I appreciate it

9. Mike Antonetti

That’s kick ass! I haven’t a clue how the pins are lined up and driven. Locating would be interesting if the manufacturers would talk to you about selling their equipment. Probably some in California, Georgia, Pennsylvania, or Ohio.

I look at a lot of auction equipment and have seen entire large companies (cement plants, metal manufacturing machinery,etc.)sold off. I’m curious now in the production.

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Across the street from where I used to live there were some workers who were employed at the Roberts factory where they made the tack strip in Baldwin Park or maybe it was the City of Industry.

One of them lived in a shed in the back yard. Pretty sure he didn't have a Green Card. He's back in Mexico now.

11. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I knew a retailer that manufactured tack strip in North central Iowa years ago. I have no idea if the equipment is still available. His son runs the business now. PM your contact info to me if you want me to check it out. This was nearly 30 years ago.
    Dick

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I went to the Halex plant that was in LA a few years ago. A lot involved, R&D department testing pin strength of tacstrip to wood manufacturers. Plum creek was a major plywood maker here in our valley for tacstrip. Not anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Antonetti

Some of my stretches have pulled pin backward, I’ve also noticed pins loose swiveling around.

Ken, LA as in Los Angelos or Louisiana, Gumbo, crawfish anyone?

I find the economics of this machine interesting. Not sure what angle you’re coming from, is this an installation company that the number crunchers say we are spending too much money on tackstrip. And what quality level is being sought?

Machinery design and durability I’d be Leary of a machine that cannot handle the fatigue it will endure. Googled equipment is from China, I’ve yet to see Chinese equipment to survive past a century.

Attached Files:

14. kwfloors

Found this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

That’s pretty awesome!

16. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Here’s a bit more old school version. I remember talking to a product rep who said that all their 1/4” underlayment that doesn’t pass QC gets turned into tackstrip.

17. Mike Antonetti

I still couldn’t see in detail how the pins are lined up and pressed. Pink Floyd song started going through my head watching the strips marching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. kwfloors

Well the Plum creek strip was junk, delaminating plys and straightened pins a lot. Too soft of wood the pins set in, its much better now.

That's a hard one to find, maybe have to visit a plant to see the companies name on the equipment. Looks custom. My dad had that dream of starting a company up next door to home as the wood was coming from our local mill. Glad it didn't happen.

Mike, that was in Los Angeles, CA.

• Like Like x 1