Wrapping the stringer

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Ingme, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Ingme

Ingme New Member

Well I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find any info on this.

I need to cover the stringers with carpet…how is that normally done? I’ll go out on a limb and guess that it needs to be done before the stairs, but that is usually as far as I get.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I prefer to do them before the stairs are installed. Makes it easier to fit in. Then the thickness of the stairs covers my multitude of sins.
    I tack/staple the carpet to the top of the stringer first and then cut a slit at the nose of the step so carpet will lay back against stringer. Then fit and staple. Sometimes on the top if edge is very narrow contact works also.
    Personally I don't like the look. To me it makes the stairway look like a ramp. But each his own.

Daris

3. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

Not the best at giving detailed instructions but will give it a shot. At the crotch of the riser and tread measure rom the bottom of the stringer to the top of the lip. I don't believe there is a standar size but on my stairs it is 9.5 inches. Using a straight edge, or a row cutter, cut the carpet to that width by whatever convenient length is available (meaning if your carpet is 12' x 6'6" you will want to cut the 6'6" way) Once you have all of the pieces you will need, Start by stapling the carpet to the top of the lip, begining at the bottom and working your way up. Using a sharp knife, cut the carpet at the top of where the tread meets the riser in a straight line (parrallel with the widthe of the tread). The carpet should drop down on the exposed area of the stringer, then staple it to the stringer and trim it to fit, continue with this until done. Since you will most likely not have enough carpet to cover the stringer in one piece, if the material falls before the next full step, cut it back so it falls on a full step. (This so when you join the carpet, you will only have a very short seam). I may not be describing this well, but it is pretty much a fool proof way to do the stringers with a minimal amount of cutting.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Yeah, that's the way I'd do it as well ^

5. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Interesting ... when I bought my first home, an old Victorian, in 1988, there was carpet on the stringers. During my professional carpet career, have only contracted to do this a couple of times, a long time ago. Tommy says he did it quite often, but "back in the day". Really, this is still done?

Tia

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I've done it a couple times over the course of my short career...but it's not a common thing, and I'm okay with that!

7. Demonseed

Demonseed Pro Member

I believe it is more of a regional thing, in Connecticut it was very rare, in New Jersey it is quite common.

8. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

Very common in Canada, but usually on basement stairs.

9. Daris Mulkin

I agree that most are basement steps, but have done a few uppers especially the suspended steps over the years.

Daris

10. FlooringGirl

Ugh, suspened steps ... you mean the ones with the ladders to get underneath?

Tia

11. Daris Mulkin

Yup, those and the ones where you can look through the riser and supported by a 2x12 on both sides.

Daris

12. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

While carpet on stringers is most certainly 'a look' :blink: ever notice how they look after several years? Ever remove carpet from a stringer? :mad: To me, this is right up there with putting broadloom carpet on the walls and ceilings of vans. The only difference is vans find their way to the junkyard and crusher, homes get remodeled. :(:(:(

Dobby

13. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Now by golly, :eek:wait just a minute, back in the 70's I made some good coin doing vans for my friends. I probably did at least a dozen.

The blue and brown sculptured shag was great to work with.
    Don't tell me Dobby you never worked with REAL contact cement in an enclosed van?:yesss: :ohno:

14. David Hunt

Rgfloor, back then I didn't need contact cement, besides contact was too flammable, one spark and,... well, believe me there were lots of sparks. Back then life was different and the right adhesive was the one we had. ;)

Before years end I got a new van and have been thinking about how one of the first things I would always do was upfit and carpet. This one is a passenger 'window' van with numerous comforts not available in cargo vans. But the best part is the completed interior. No upfit required. But, now that you mention it, I may just crack a can of contact, roll up the windows, play some Eric Clapton & Neil Young real loud... and inhale sloooowly... for old times sake... (NOT!!!) it would be more fun then putting carpet on a stringer, ugh....

Dobby

PS: Speaking of carpeting vans, I'll never forget the time I was carpeting a friends van as he did the built ins. We had been at it all day, gone through a good 1/2 ounce, when his Mom came out to check our progress. She was quite impressed with my work, told me I seemed to have a knack for this carpet stuff and suggested it might be a good career path. Her comment meant a lot and I supposed that was better than prison, which is where her son & I were both headed. I took her advice, he did six years and still vists there on occasion. Life was very different back then...

... that may be too much honesty, but sometimes we need to remind ourselves from whence we came to better appreciate where we are going.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  15. FlooringGirl

As I said, the first home I bought had carpet on the main stair stringers. Of a home built in 1900. Covering up ornate woodwork. It was brown/gold/orange shag. What was someone thinking?? Probably the same thing that they were thinking when they put orange linoleum in the kitchen and green paneling on the walls. When I first looked at the home, I stated that the green crap was the first thing to have to go.

Tia

16. FlooringGirl

Speaking of carpeting vans ... Tommy's dad has thiss newer extended van, which he turned into a camper for his trips to Florida during the winter. He gave it a generator, microwave, bed, dresser, and then had Tommy carpet it. That man is pretty happy. Driving around, he just has a sweet, gold-colored extended van.

No such thing as too much honesty amongst friends. We all have our pasts and that is what makes us what we are! I went from a drug-dealing juvenile delinquent who did about four years of time into ME! The thing is, no one can prove what i just said, because I got my records destroyed. LOL.

Tia

17. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

To A........... Rug- Dealing upstanding member of society :yesss:

Now!! it's all becoming clear to me, it was my lack of drug use back in the day, That's my problem ! :p

18. FlooringGirl

Aw shucks, as a woman, I needed to be a little rough around the edges to work in this field!

I am wondering if our thread starter managed to get his stringers done, now that we went :ot: to talk about carpeting vans and what has made us who we are?

Tia

19. David Hunt

Tia, I don't think we're really off topic. Carpet on stringers, carpeting vans and doing drugs are all things that seem like a fun idea at the time only to later leave us asking 'what the heck was I thinking?'

Dobby

20. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Oh yeah, the van carpetin experience......:help: