Wrapping External Coved Corner In Altro Marine

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by twomly, Oct 8, 2010.

1. twomly

twomly Pro Member

This is my first topic so who would like to see how i managed these corners.:yesss:

Twomly

Attached Files:

2. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Pro Member

ok guvnor,

impress us with your wisdom ;)

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

you are the man, that's how.

I like the rounded edges as well...wow.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  4. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

I like that! Ok you have some explaining to do.... What is a Cellulous Thinner?
    And what are you doing with it.... Rubbing down welds?

Rob

5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks good to me
    We just spent 4 days in New York and I noticed the round coved corners on the double decker Hop on Hop off buses. Who ever laid these buses did a good job
    Even on holiday looking at vinyl laying. Wonder if I could charge this trip as a working holiday :)

6. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

:eek:........:bow:

I gotta get me a cove job so I can give this a shot......:cool:

7. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

OK. This weekend i'm going out to the shop and make me some " Twomly corners " Thats right, I'm naming them " Twomly's " :yesss:

8. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What about making some of those big round corners on those buses? Probually about a 4 inch radius and a 2 inch cove on the floor just in case you have to do a bus one day :)

9. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Could happen,:confused: I better practice just in case....:yesss:

10. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

That's very cool. Now, could we get you to shoot a video, showing how to do it? I'm the slow one in the group:)

Cellulose Thinners

That's a nasty chemical cocktail.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  11. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Ok guys heres the cove former going in, and yes you guessed right on the cellulose thinners i always use a tiny tiny ammount on the welds smooths them of niceley and it can put the manufactured shine back, caution though use sparingly and only on the weld do a test first cause its not compatible with all welds. (before you all rush out and buy some):yesss:

Twomly

Attached Files:

12. chrisbonnie

chrisbonnie Pro Member

AH

now i see

another trick for welding bead is ACETONE, my old man swears by it, mind you, he has hands like a gorilla, so he's immune to any form of chemical burns :yesss:

13. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

Twomly, I will be looking forward to my next cover to try this, If they will let me,lol.

14. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Heres a bit more guys.

Twomly

Attached Files:

15. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Just incase anyones wondering and before you ask why is there no capping at the top of the vinyl, its because this is the ladies shower area at a private health sports club. And they had some much trouble with the last 2 installations they had done with water getting under the vinyl. (NOT MY INSTALLATIONS) We came up with this method the i've come up the wall 250mm and the white rock guys are coming down the wall to 100mm above floor level so they will over lap my install by 50mm by doing this it is going to be pretty much impossible for the water to get in. The column i wrapped round already had a failed corner on it where water was getting in to the building structure causing problems in a room next door to this. When pricing for this i always show the customer both types of corners mine and the usual the one thats failed i then offer the other as an extra charge and allow half a man day per corner they always go for it cause they know its better the downside of this is no call backs for broken corners and longer lasting floors this is begining to worry me as no mre call backs for repairs may leave some of us with out any work any thoughts on that????

Twomly

16. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

So let me get this straight??? You had a camera in a "Ladies Shower" and you post pictures of vinyl corners??? J/K ;)

17. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

For shame Twomly,,, For shame....:(

18. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I wouldn't be concerned about solvents casing a skin rash. The real health issues have to do with the impact on the central nervous system, liver and kidneys. If you do use the solvents you want to avoid skin contact altogether just as importantly, if not more than inhaling the direct fumes.

19. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Thanks Incog, I think I know what my problem is now!:help::sick:

20. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm confused.

Where an outside corner stands alone to wrap your corner as shown do you have to add an additional "boot" to fill the void created by going around the corner? I'm not sure I'm wording my question well so I did a little pattern felt mock-up to better illustrate my question. What's shown is the standard "boot" and how we would develop it whether done pattern scribing or freehand. The last of the four photos shows the smallest size void/boot that you have to fill when running the piece all the way to cover the wall on the other side of the corner.

In the pictures that you've shown so far there's always been a nearby inside corner making a very convenient and necessary place to start the second fill piece. Out the the open I'm curious what you are doing. Is it going to be a "double boot" or am I missing something?

Attached Files: