WPC... Please explain and advice-Eternity Brand

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Will_01, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Will_01

Will_01 New Member

My property is a townhouse, 2 stories. Top has two baths, two rooms. Bottom has living room, kitchen, and a half bath. I'm thinking about using WPC throught the bottom and the two bathrooms, to keep consistency, using this company's product:

Eternity WPC Majestic Collection, Royal Maple 675 square feet. and 1.5mm underlayment by factory recommended specs (eternityflooring dot com).

My question is: Any problems of using WPC throughout the bathroom and kitchens. If I do so, what problems may I encounter in the future. Also, is anyone familiar with Eternity brand and have experience using their product. Thanks in advance.

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Eternity Flooring appears to be a wholesale importer of laminate, engineered hardwood, and WPC flooring. Located primarily in Southern California. The product is made and imported from China, which is true of nearly all WPC products at this time. They are more of a "regional" brand than a national brand.

The term WPC is currently evolving and there is some movement within the industry to standardize the definition. Originally it stood for Wood Pulp Composite. This referenced the fact that it incorporated wood pulp, primarily bamboo saw dust, into the core of the product. It was first introduced to provide the best features of Luxury Vinyl Plank and Laminate flooring. Today, most manufacturers of WPC floors don't use any wood pulp in their products and the abbreviation is more commonly referred to as Water Proof Composite flooring. The term "rigid core" is also commonly used to refer to this construction.

With reference to your project, using any type of floating system in bathrooms is problematic at best. Floating floors must have room to expand and contract. Fixtures, such as your commode and cabinetry are commonly fastened down to the subfloor. This can "pin" the floor and not allow the necessary expansion and contraction which could cause the floor to buckle. Kitchens can also be problematic if the homeowner or builder insists on putting the flooring underneath the cabinetry or islands for the same reason. The weight of the cabinetry and fasteners needed to secure them to the subfloor are points where the floor can bind and eventually cause buckling.

The bathroom is a great place for porcelain tile or stone. If that's not within your budget you could also consider sheet vinyl for that area. There are a lot of really good looking products in that category that would coordinate well with your WPC choice.

I hope this helps answer your questions and concerns. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turned out. (Pictures are always appreciated)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wonderful explanation from Commercial Floor Rep!

4. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

I will add. I am not a fan of floating floors in bathrooms. My reason is more that water can find even a very very small area to get under the floor, with it being said that water will not hurt this flooring, water will be trapped under it, I would then worry about mold growth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Will_01

Will_01 New Member

Even with the underlayment, mold would be an issue? Has anyone had WPC throughout their property? Any experience with this?

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I put Floorte in my bathroom just so I could see how it performs. Ripped it out about 6 months later to put marmoleum in and discovered that water had seeped through one of the butt joints about a foot away from the tub. No water leaked where I scribed it tight to the tub which is where I would have thought the weak point would be. In all fairness Floorte doesn't have the greatest locking mechanism. In fact the locking mechanism is pretty crappy as far as I'm concerned. Easy to install but crappy for the customer down the road. Coretec has a much superior locking mechanism as do others.

My buddy's favorite line is that the flooring may be waterproof but your house isn't.

7. Will_01

Will_01 New Member

Anybody with Eternity WPC in their homes?

8. Timothy1988

Timothy1988 In me the tiger sniffs the rose.

Please help to explain the define of 'Floating floors' cited above, I only see the titles about Glue Down,Self-Adhesive or Click when the description shows

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A floating floor is the "click" type, it is NOT glued or stuck to the subfloor, only clicked/locked together on the edges.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1