Wow...now I'm more paranoid than ever...

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by tomlin99, Jul 18, 2013.

1. tomlin99

tomlin99 Member

Hi all...just joined the site to get/share ideas regarding my plans to replace carpet and tile with hard surface flooring on a house I'm buying. I was leaning toward LVP and am a little concerned regarding all of the "cons" regarding the stuff. The house has a basement so it's going over a wood subfloor. I originally liked the floating LVP but am not so sure...there also seem to be some "issues" with the click-in-place floating LVP floors. I'm still considering a floating adhesive-type LVP but am going to have to do a LOT of further research before I decide.

There are only 2 adults in the household (and 1 cat) so usage is not heavy and I want to do the entire 1,100 sq. ft. area including kitchen and 1 bath. I appreciate any and all input regarding adhesive floating LVP (vs. sticky back or click and lock type)...I'm a little concerned as to my choice.

2. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Firstly, Welcome...boy have you come to the right place for flooring advice and opinions:D

Secondly, could I get you to define what you mean by "Adhesive Floating LVP". This may be a new product I'm unaware of. By definition a floating floor is just that...floating, Loose-lay.

Whether a locking type...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfVNfe_iWw]How To Installl Mannington Adura Lock Solid Luxury Vinyl Floor LVT.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

or a "Drop n' run"...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1cyqWo8-1AI]Karndean LooseLay - Quick & Easy Flooring for Your Home - YouTube[/ame]

Generally no adhesive is used in the installation.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

OR... a floor like Konecto, which I have in my apartment's living/kitchen space, that has glue strips.

[ame=http://youtu.be/ilsJVPIWdho]Konecto Installation Video - YouTube[/ame]

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

There are a few other considerations I believe you should add to the very good info you've already mentioned. Are you HOPING to live in the house for the rest of your life or is there some idea of moving and selling in the future? Maybe you can't answer but if you KNOW you will move some day then you need to factor in how flooring will affect your ability to sell the house.

Secondly, are YOU doing any of the demolition, underlayment and prep or will all of this be done by hired labor?

One of the big benefits to the "floating" vinyl products whether they are "click" system or Konecto type overlap underlap tongue/glue systems is that the substrate doesn't require PERFECTION as far as all the manufacturer's specifications. It can save you a LOT of money in demo, underlayment and prep as compared to gluing down the LVPs.

Of those three choices I prefer the glue down planks. Assume you will need 1/4" underlayment grade plywood for that at the very minimum and possibly much more work to get a nice solid, smooth, flat substrate underneath. They are all pretty attractive and durable choices. Sometimes it's just taste but I really don't love anything "floating."

5. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

I just put in some Metroflor Engage. Click-type floating floor. It seems to be lower quality than the last time I worked with it, but the 20 mil wear layer is tough to beat.

6. tomlin99

tomlin99 Member

Thanks, guys...guess my explanation wasn't very good. I was trying to refer to my choices of floating (via adhesive tab or click-type) or adhesive planks. I had read some pretty good reviews regarding the inexpensive glue-down planks from Lowes (Novalis?) but then read an article here about serious issues with them (I know they're cheap but was hoping there was a "cheap AND good" product out there). I'm only (hopefully) a few years from retirement and intend to stay in the house for a long time...I'm not concerned about resale. I need to make some decisions soon...the house is in great condition (owned by elderly people who took beautiful care of their home and updated things over time) but I'm going to be installing some new kitchen countertops, patio doors off the dining area and a deck (along with repainting the whole interior while it's empty). I was going to live with the carpet and tile (a little dated but in good condition) but realize that the time to get rid of it and install solid surface flooring is while it's empty. My problem is budget...or lack thereof. I don't want to install anything that won't hold up or is problematic but also want something that I can install in the kitchen and bath (laminate is out for that reason). Ideally I'd like to install a product throughout the entire house.

My sister installed a floating plank product in her dining/living room. I was there yesterday and her husband showed me an extra box he had left over...it's Armstrong Exquisite floating vinyl. It's been down for a year and a half and they've NEVER had a problem (2 kids and a cat). There house is OLD and has VERY uneven floors (you can see the rises/dips). The flooring is still holding despite the minimum prep they did. Has this product been discontinued? I'll make a decision soon...just need as much information as I can get before I do...thanks for the input.

7. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

I'll bow out here as I have no personal experience fitting the "Locking / Glue tab" type floor.
    I did spend some time looking for your "Exquisite" planks and although they do appear on several web sites they all say "Unavailable" or "Discontinued". So you may be out of luck there.
    I must admit to the fact they are not around any more points out that it is a good idea to maybe buy a box more than you need for renovations or repairs in the future.