Woven with a curved wall

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Lo Down, May 24, 2008.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

I did this job a few months back, but just got the photos developed along with the CD............ yes, real film. :eek:
    The bedroom has a curved wall separating it from the bath area.

I'll start with how I sometimes do transitions.
    Tucking to tile and wood can be difficult because there isn't much room to tuck the carpet into..................... The more material you can tuck down the better in Lo's way of thinking.
    Lo bought this cool old die grinder a couple years ago at a 2nd hand shop and with a carbide burr, you can quickly make a deeper gully to tuck the carpet down into............. especially in particle board. :D

Attached Files:

2. Lo Down

Some say never use tackstrip in a doorway............... never had a problem with it. I have done this before to make a better transition from the tackstrip to the pad.
    Put a strip of denser pad right next to the tackstrip.............. in this case, 1/4 inch double stick pad.
    The tackstrip is solid, the 1/4 inch pad is extremely firm, the rubber pad is 'sorta' firm.
    This makes the transition from tackstrip into the pad feel much better, and I bet it's a whole lot better for the carpet backing. ............. you never feel the tackstrip edge because of this additional firm strip of denser pad right next to it.
    Overkill.............. maybe, but it feels better to me to put in this effort. Works using 1/2 inch pad also when someone buys lightweight crap........... put in a strip of denser pad next to the strip.

I used that die grinder on this transition also so I could tuck more of this woven material down into the gully.

Attached Files:

3. Lo Down

Lets get rollin'.
    Lo works by his self, so positioning a 36 foot piece of rough backed woven over rubber pad is impossible............. unless you unroll the carpet onto heavy plastic........... slippery as a greased pig. Try it. I was even able to turn the carpet to put the seam together better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. Lo Down

There was no room for error with the amount of carpet I had. I even had to start on end of the room 3/4 of an inch away from the wall so I could make a full pattern look nice in the bathroom doorway. I only cut the material on the curved wall 2" big, and that made it possible to do the fill seam in one piece.
    Strings string everywhere a string............... pattern ran 1 3/4", so I had some straightening to do............. not fun with this curve in the mix.

Attached Files:

5. Lo Down

Why does Lo stress so easy............... there was enough carpet to do the job. Here's the entire pile of scraps and trimmings. The walk in closet was in two pieces. The job had 36 feet of material.

Turned out nice tho. Retailer complained when I billed $200 more than he figured.
    Lo needs to use 1 2/2" flat bar in the doorways and a kicker next time and bill the job as the retailer estimated. :D
    This home had the clearest fir trim I have ever seen.................. and a LOT of it. Very nice home.

Attached Files:

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

[​IMG]I notice you don't use an Auto-Loc stretcher tube. Can't tell ya how much effort and time that thing saved me. They're less than a hundred bucks here: Bruns Flooring Supply : Crain Auto-Loc Tube [CR501] - $71.73 and no doubt available wherever you get supplies.

Very nice work, Lo, and I love seeing progress shots like this. Thanks.

Jim

7. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

I'll ditto Jim on the Auto Loc.

Nice use of dry lines to help with the pattern alignment.
    As always Lo, beautiful work. :bow:

8. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Charter Member Published

nice looking job, lo... I am very impressed.

9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'll 3rd the auto lock tube. I don't leave home without it. At least for a job that is.
    Very nice work. I'm always in awe of beuatiful work.

Daris

10. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

I'm going to fourth that on the auto lock tube. Especially with pattern materials.

I've also gotta say what a fine job that is. Especially the use of dry lines. So many people poo-poo their use and try to believe they can eye-ball a pattern to keep it straight and it just isn't so. Seriously, a really nice job Randy.

Respectfully,

Dobby

11. Lo Down

Thanks guys. I gotta have lines , especially on this one because of that long curved wall. Gotta make sure it's exactly where you want it before you cut and tuck that first finished cut................ at that point, you are commited.
    The material had to lay the way it did. Ended up with the seam partly into the bath doorway, but otherwise there'd be two seams parallel to the light source............... woulda looked like Jerry did it. hee hee! :D

What's the big deal with the aouto loc? My stretcher handle has a ratcheting lock on it.................... same thing, or not?

12. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

I never used an autoloc cause I never had one. Don't think it would speed me up any, but I could be wrong.....:shifty:......and would ya cut it out Lo, my knees are gettin sore.......:bow::bow::bow:...............:brick:

13. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

Looks good Lo ..

14. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

The auto-lock is great when working along curved or angled walls where you need to adjust the length of the poles with every stretch. Just squeeze the two pins and slide it in place while never changing the position of your body. That's all.

Dobby

PS: No patterns are more difficult than linear patterns in round rooms

15. stullis

Not the same as a ratcheting handle and yes it will speed you up. ;)

Course than Lo wouldn't be able to take 5 days to do a 2 day job. :D

Seriously, not having an auto-loc and doing carpet is like wearing those cheap foam knee pads instead of ProKnees.
    And it costs half the price of ProKnees. :cool:

16. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

It is a new tool, I've only had one since 1983.

17. Lo Down

That sounds handy in a lot of situations.

The circular wall was bad enough, but having that wide closet doorway to seam on adjacent to the wall made it just that much more fun. Lets just say I did more than the recommended Karastan '21 way' stretch. I feel that the stretch/tension came out very even. Baseboards were up off the floor a healthy 1/4 of an inch, and that helped a lot.

Speed me up? .......... but then I'd have to lower my price. :D ................. wait a minute bucko ..................... you're pickin' on me aren't ya? :hmmm: :D
    I figure by spending near eternity at someones home and turning on the old Lo charm, I end up feeling so much like family that eventually I might get written into somebodies Will. :bump:

I wear Knee Pros................ nothing at all like Pro Knees, but after a year, they work and still feel great.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  18. stullis

Sounds like a good retirement plan to me. :D

19. Lo Down

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do................. especially in this trade. :D
    Actually at dinner on night with the family............... (yes at the jobsite), the homeowner brought that very subject up jokingly of course, because of how slow the work was going and how well we were getting to know each other. Fun job, nice people....................... I think he wanted me, not his son in the new will. :D:D:D I'm slow........... the kid was a bum. :D

20. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks good Lo and I don't leave home without an autoloc tube, in fact I think I have 3 of them now. When you are stretching down a wall you can lift the handle on the stretcher quik and it will give you a inch and a half of length. Don't have to move the foot as much.