Woven rug....... what is this?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Lo Down, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Trying to help a friend know what she purchased. Do any of you rug gurus have any input as to what this is? It's 49 by 79 inches.
    It's lighter colored field area is a little discolored on one end, probably from fading. Overall, the rug is in very nice shape. It has no tags or identifying marks attached.

The two images of the entire rug did not do the design any justice as far as the design shown in photo 4..... it shows up nicely from the face side as well.

In the center section, all of the red border rows are raised ever so slightly making the light colored center area and those tiny blue and orange flower shaped thingys slightly lower in height............. I don't know the term........ a relief?

In the bottom image, there is a tick tack toe pattern and one row of yarn is misplaced about one row over............. could that one be for Allah?

Attached Files:

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

In picture #4 it looks like it is a loop. Is it? Got any pictures of the back? I'm sure Dobby can answer your questions. I looks hand woven to me but who knows.

Daris

3. Lo Down

The bottom 3 images are the back side Daris................ top side is fuzzy.
    I'll see if I can find a portion of the back to enlarge for more detail.

Here's 2 of them. This is as sharp as I could get em.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Charter Member Published

that is a hand knot for sure... from the Size of it I would guess that it is from the Iranian area, but from pictures it is hard to tell try these links and see if that helps..
    25 Oriental Rug Identification Tools
    hell this is better use this page
    AOL Search

5. Lo Down

I'm reviving this topic because of the photos only.

I have a customer with a really nice woven carpet she purchased a few years ago............ it's construction is similar, if not the same as the on shown in these photos.
    The pile height is quite thin and she want's her runner installed on some stairs in their lake cabin.

Do electric tacker staples hide themselves well in a carpet like this one. No way will tack strip work with this material. If so, how far apart would you place the staples?

I wish I could give you more info on the rug itself....... maybe I can.
    I was just wondering how you install one of these. I don't think she was wanting stair rods, and a pad recommendation would be appreciated too................ I'm thinking real thin, but what kind????? rubber non slip, hair?

Once more, the rug I am referring to is NOT the one shown here, but it is the same construction, but with a rather thin pile height.

6. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

The method of securing the rug to the stairs depends on it's value or perceived value. If the rug will live out the remainer of it's life on the stairs, then electric staples are the way to go and can be easily hidden.

If the rug has value and the customer believes they may want to remove the rug for use elsewhere, then the preferred method to attach the rug to the steps is #12 carpet tacks and these will not be hidden. This is not a 'bad thing'. In fact, they will be very visible and the tacks will become part of 'the look'. A traditional rug attached in a traditional method.

Here's a photo of one we did recently with tacks. The customer did not want the rug cut and has definite plans to remove and/or shift the rug as desired. The rods were installed 'after the fact' for decoration.

Also, yes to a cushion. A good 32-40 ounce fiber cushion that wraps around the nose will provide an excellent foundation for the carpet to live on.

Hope this helps.

With kindest regards,

Dobby

BTW: The rug in the first photos, with out extensive research, I would say from the repetition and use of pattern, North Africa, and what appears to be undyed yarn, possibly berber or neighboring region. But that's only a best guess.

Attached Files:

7. Lo Down

Thank you Dobby. That does help.
    I don't think the rug was cheap. They bought it at a "rug shop" out of town....... possibly out of state, not at a carpet store. She complained that all we had around here were Karastan rugs and runners.

Here's a little bit more about the runner she has. The tag on the rug said:
    Rug # 24571 (I assume an inventory number)
    AFGHAN
    Turkoman wool
    I don't recall exactly what the pattern looked like, but it was mostly a burnt red color. A very nice looking rug.

How many staples or tacks would it take to hold this in place? One per inch? two per inch? It would most likely be waterfalled...... I don't recall there being much bullnose from the photos she showed me of the stairway.

8. Lo Down

Dobby, one other thing.
    You posted a photo of some stair rods you found a long time back. They were very old and as I recall, and unused. They were very simple and you said they were "functional" , not decorative like we use today. The "rod holders" just eye screws and the rods were steel.

Do you have those photos........ layin around in your computer somewhere?
    I'm wondering if the lady might like the look of some Lo Custom brand stair rods. ;) Lo Custom, meaning I would fabricate them............... I wasn't meaning to steal yours. ;)

She wasn't into the look of stair rods because stair rods are too fancy for their cabin. It's a very nice cabin mind you. The home owner is an orthopedic surgeon and he has extremely good woodwroking skills..... he built the entire cabin.

Anyway, maybe a simple wrought iron look would tickle her fancy for this application. And that way, I could use carpet tacks for the reason you mentioned.

9. Chris Flynn

Lo, I have put woven stair runners on just using durahold area rug pad and stair rods... the only place that I put tacks ( and yes they were carpet tacks... ) was at the very top and the very bottom... If you do this method put all the rod brackets on first and start from the top. and work your way down... and yes it does hold... I am sure that there will be some that don't believe it,...

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Lo I had a boss who made all his own rods. Usually it was out of brazing rod.

Daris

11. Lo Down

Chris.............. is that the same stuff I have been using for Karastan and other rugs?
    I looked at the Durahold photos on line and it looks to be the same stuff as the Karastan rug pads. Is it really just Durahold pad in a Karastan plastic wrapper?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  12. Lo Down

Isn't brazing rod pretty thin? I've only seen it in 1/8" dimensions.

Talked to the homeowner earlier tonight and they do have some custom wrought iron light fixtures and a wrought iron railing custom made just for that place. Light fixture according to the owner has a Frank Lloyd Wright look. A local man built those things for them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  13. Lo Down

One other tid bit after talking to the customer tonight.
    Riser is 8 inches, tread is 10 7/8" and the overhang of the riser is pretty big.......... a 2 1/2 inch bullnose according to her. Not sure how she measured this. I may look at the job late next week weather permitting........ boat access only.

14. Chris Flynn

probably, Durahold is a great pad... is Karastan the "heated" felt on one side and the purple rubber on the other... I am so out of the loop any more..

15. Lo Down

Synthetic felt on one side................. I guess "heated" describes the look. It's not loose and fuzzy. The rubber side is tan in color and has a slight dimpled texture............ sorta like old jute pad.

Karastan packages theirs in a heavyweight clear plastic bag.

I think its the same stuff. I has an instruction sheet with it saying the pad will flatten out fully in 24 to 48 hours.