woven carpet on steps

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by cproader, Nov 13, 2010.

1. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

Well if cp can do it.........

What the H........L, I did this one today and took a crapload of pics and this is all I got to post. Stupid smartphone piece'o......ok well this is the same place I just put the little hex tiles in a bathroom, and it is a real nice place.

Attached Files:

2. cproader

And its friggin sideways........:brick:

3. Sean Moore

Sean Moore Pro Member

my android phone did that too recently. maybe they know about it, I don't keep up with that end of tech news, I just use the fone.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I'm curious why you didn't put pad over the nose of the step. Carpet wears pretty bad in that area as it is. Pad will reduce the wear. I also added duct tape to my bullnoses to help prevent the friction of the harsh carpet backing from damaging the pad. The tape will also secure the pad smoothly over the bullnose and let you staple or glue the carpet under the bullnose.

Jim

Attached Files:

5. cproader

Ok well the pad I use on the nose is a felt tape. It wasn't on the ones yer seein. If I had some with me I would show ya. I think felt works better on the nose.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why not just use felt pad on the whole step? We always upgrade the pad on steps because of the hard traffic down the middle. Looks good, CP :) Is that the pnuematic tacker stapler in the pic? How do you like it?

7. cproader

Cause they ordered HealthyChoice pad, it is a good pad but I like felt at the nose. Aqnd yeah I like the pnuematic staplet.........a lot.........:cool:

8. cproader

Well what a surprise, no pics made it again......that's it. This phone is goin fer a swim sometime tomorrow. Anyhoo, the felt tape is something I found at Boeings Surplus store years ago. It has 2" of felt on one side of some super sticky 6" foil tape. Don't know what Boeing used it for, but it has a million uses fer me. I bought a pallet of it about 15 yrs ago and still have at least 3/4 left.........:cool:

9. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

How come you get all the fun stuff?

They use that tape to hold the engines onto the wings ...a noise and vibration dampener. :cool:

15 years and it's still sticky? Wow, that's some good schtick.

10. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Pop said, he would install the stair pad Short! :eek: on purpose ! :eek: if the customer was too annoying :eek: :D :eek:

To me, Cp's pad install is just barely covering, enough of the nose, to protect the carpet. Waist not Want not ;)

Jim, that takless and stair pad installation is a work of Art ! :yesss:

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Looks like it's cut flush with the top edge of the nose. There's no picture of the finished pad, but if he adds the felt to the same point, to cover only the front edge of the nose, then the most susceptible part of the carpet to damage will be hitting that edge that the foam and the felt meet. It wouldn't take long before the carpet is being beaten into the bare wood. But again, we don't know if the foam gets trimmed back so the felt actually wraps the nose to protect that corner.

Thanks. The first one, right? The second one got walked on too much before the carpet went in. The first one though... that had to be realll purtty from start to finish because the owner was an artist with wood. He turned raw lumber into furniture, cabinets, clocks, doors - and those stair railings made from 3 different kinds of exotic wood. I was in awe. Oh yeah, my first job for him was that rubber floor in his shop.

Attached Files:

12. Nick Arrera

Nick Arrera Traitor

I had to take a second look . he looks like Norm from ask this old house . :D

13. cproader

ya guys are startin to push my buttons....
    ok didnt get the new phone yet so still no pics. The foil felt tape overlaps the pad right at the nose. And the felt is about 1/4" thick. So when I wrap it over the nose it compresses the faom pad.........

14. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

O, I see ! Cool !! of course you have a well thought out plan ! --- Just looking after the defenseless carpet that's all. ;)

PS> I thought you wore buttonless shirts ? ;) :p :D

Mike