Would this be a durable carpet?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by StacieB, Apr 13, 2017.

1. StacieB

StacieB Member

As you can see from my previous post, I'm looking for carpet for LR/DR, bedrooms, hall and stairs. I decided to do a little more shopping and am now considering a carpet from Truftex called Embrace. Here are the stats:

Stainmaster 100% Luxerell BCF nylon
    face weight 39
    density 2160
    tuft twist 6.55
    pile height .65
    Softbac backing

I liked the look and feel of this one and it had a color I really liked but durability is more important to me. Does this seem like a durable carpet? Is Luxerell good-will it hold up? Is the pile height too high for stairs?
    Again, thanks in advance for you opinions.

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I'm a hard surface guy 99% of the time, but I've been doing this long enough I've learned a fair amount about carpet and I'll share what I've been taught and what I've experienced.

Most of the specs you've listed here speak more to what will work out to be the cleanability of the product, which is important. But what really makes carpet last and perform is the cushion you put it over. By that I mean a high density (8 lb.) well made carpet cushion can make a cheap piece of carpet perform like a higher end piece of carpet and conversely a cheap pad will make a high end carpet fail very quickly.

I'm sure you'll be getting more responses from the guys who are more into soft goods shortly who can offer opinions more on the specifics of that product. We'll see if what I've been taught agrees with their thoughts.;)

3. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

It is hard to speak to the future life of any carpet without a crystal ball. Proper cushion is key but also care and maintenance. Like annual cleaning by a certified technician. Regular vacuuming. Also a scratchy doormat to clean shoes before entering the home and/or removal of shoes. (Removal of feet is optional) optimally putting up velvet ropes and staying off the carpet could make it last forever.
    Get the best, firestorm cushion and keep it clean and you're good.