Would seams in sheet vinyl pose potential problems?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Debrasarina, May 20, 2014.

1. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

I am having sheet vinyl installed in my living room, hallway and bathroom. At one of the places I am considering buying it and having them install, I was told that to save me on material cost, he would use some of the excess to finish the bathroom by putting in seams. he said he would use seam sealer and it would not cause any problems in the future. The other place i went to told me that seams are where the most problems happen and it's especially a bad idea in a bathroom because of the water getting into the seam. Who is right??? (If it makes any difference, this is in a summer cottage that is not heated in the winter)

2. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Less seams are always a good idea especially in a bathroom and also in an unheated cottage....which by the way unheated voids any warranty on the vinyl. Anything below 55 degrees voids most manufacturers warranty. I would ask to see a difference in cost between less seams and more seams then you can make a better decision ...

3. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Nonsense, turn and run from that guy.

Exactly correct!!!

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Todays vinyls are alot different seaming than 10 years ago. One we do just uses tape to hold it down and a latex in the seam. What product are you looking at?

5. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

Armstrong brand- Memories line

Oh no... I planned on placing the order with him tomorrow; he's the only place that has the floor I want for a price I can afford... (I didn't get an email telling me that there were replied to my question; I just thought I'd check the site tonight- good thing I did!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  6. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

KWFloors- are you saying that seams shouldn't be a problem??

7. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Done correctly, no seam should be a problem.(Assuming that there's no water damage etc. beneath the vinyl to effect the integrity of the seam) That being said, there's no reason to start using smaller pieces to do a bathroom or any room for that matter, to cut corners just to save a few bucks.

8. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

Seams are not"bad".But,i have to question piecing a bathroom to save a couple dollars,when most vinyl installation problems are at the seams.Seeing as most moisture comes from the bath,i would not personally recommend seaming in a bath unless it was needed(example-the bath is wider than the vinyl.)

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about seams, but I also would never piece vinyl together either to save a relatively small amount of money.

10. The Flooring Girl

The Flooring Girl Pro Member

I would try to avoid seams whenever you can, esp in bathroom. As others have mentioned, the moisture can be an issue over time, coupled w/ more cleaning.

BUT, it depends where the seam is. If the seam is at the door, that's absolutely fine...and maybe add a metal transition on top to keep it secure. But, if it's in middle of bathroom, I agree - sounds penny wise, pound foolish

BTW, Memories is one of Armstrong's cheaper products and that may be why their price is lower as well as using less material due to the seam. If you go on Armstrong's website, they have a store locator, so you could find other places that carry Armstrong. Armstrong is a large brand, so I would think that most flooring and carpet stores carry it.

11. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

Actually, when I told him about my concern with the seams he agreed that it is better if seams can be avoided. He is actually going to run the full length of the sheet in the bathroom for the same price.

But now I have another concern... both people who came to do a measure for the floor said that they would put the new vinyl right over the existing linoleum in the bathroom; the reason I want a new floor is because the linoleum has these smoky looking black discolorations on it. Years ago, a Draino filled toilet overflowed and we think that's when the problem started; but it seems to have spread to other areas of the floor. I asked the guy if I should try to pick the linoleum up in case it's mold and he said by picking it up I could make the problem worse and that he's going to apply some stuff over it to prepare the surface and that would encapsulate any mold. Any thoughts about this?

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Are you actually talking about real linoleum, or just old vinyl flooring? Big difference. If it's old vinyl, maybe there's a concern about asbestos. And what's under that? Do you have pictures?

Jim

13. Darol Wester

Also, the dark spots MIGHT be from the toilet leaking a bit over time. If that's the case, and he'll know better when the toilet is pulled, the old underlayment might have to be replaced, depending on how wet things got.

14. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

It's real linoleum to the best of my knowledge- almost 30 years old. Not sure what's under it other than the wood subfloor.

15. Darol Wester

As Jim mentioned, pictures would be really helpful for us.

16. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Not a lot of real linoleum was being installed 30 years ago in homes.

By your description of the reasons for replacing the rest room floor I highly recommend testing the floor for asbestos-------even though it's highly unlikely to contain asbestos-----and then having that flooring removed prior to installing a new floor.

Laying over problems will almost always give you much bigger problems. Seems like a really risky thing to do........covering it.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  17. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

I uploaded photos of the floor

18. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

I guess I have never heard of encapsulating mold as being a means of mitigating mold. Seams counterproductive to me. If it is mold and it has the necessary life-support it requires to thrive then how will encapsulating it stop it?

News to me, but I learn something new almost every day.

19. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Where? :hmmm: I don't see any pictures here.

20. Debrasarina

Debrasarina Member

I'll try again to upload photos of the floor

Attached Files: