would love some advice

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by janslooking4floor, Aug 10, 2017.

1. janslooking4floor

janslooking4floor New Member

Hi, I am new here, about to purchase about 800 sq ft of LVT planks. I have been told cortec is the best, I want something durable and hopefully beautiful. I liked the cork back on the cortec, made me think it would feel better(warmer) when placed on concrete. Please help me, my questions would be, 1- is the 8.5mm better and is it important when choosing? is the cork better or am I imagining? Is cortec the same as others and just good marketing. Is there anyone out there who can help me make this choice because I am too exhausted from talking to the flooring salesmen who contradict each other?? any advice is welcomed.
    oh, and is textured better to distract from future scratches? thanks in advance

2. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Cortec is a good floor. But so is others. Textured will hide scratches better the non textured. Now with that said. I am not a big fan of floating over concrete. I have been called out to many times with laminate and floating LVT along with the WPC flooring that water has been trapped under the flooring with no place to go. It is true what you have been told, water will not hurt the WPC product. But think about it, if it can not go through it from the top, it can not come back up from under it. If you want to use it make sure what the moisture coming out of the concrete is.

3. janslooking4floor

janslooking4floor New Member

thank you, there will be no water under the concrete unless we flood and then it gets pulled up and aired out. only flooded 1 time in 25 years which is why I need flooring.

what other floors are good? i need options ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Other similar products to Coretec would be Mannington Adura Max, Mohawk SolidTech, Armstrong Luxe Plank, and Shaw's Floorte to name a few. The category is exploding right now and there are importers with knock of lines coming out of the woodwork. My advice would be to stay with a name brand product so if you do have an issue you'll have a manufacturer to work with.

5. The cork backing has some excellent benefits: feels great underfoot, keeps noise down (a little) and reduces the odd click/hollow sound floating floors often make and offers a tiny thermal barrier.

The down side of cork = if the Coletec gets flooded the floor needs full replacement. A vapour barrier is still required with vinyl planks over concrete. That's normal. The cork underlayment is not something that can be "saved" if the floor gets wet. The cork has been known to give off a mouldy smell if it is over come by water/moisture. Which means the idea that you "dry it off and air it out" isn't going to be an option with the integrated cork backing.

That being said, CoreTec has products that come WITHOUT the cork backing...and those planks are allowed 3mm cork underlay (purchased separately). This is a nice compromise. If anything ever happens, you can throw out the cork underlay, buy new cork underlay and then reisntall the CoreTec (after it has been cleaned, dried and allowed to bask in the sun's UV rays for a full day). You still need a vapour barrier....but it allows you a bit more flexibility/chance to save the floor should the house ever flood (again by the sounds of it).

Just a little piece of advice from someone who has heard the complaints about "cork backed vinyl" after it got wet.

And yes...it takes a lot of work to salvage a vinyl floor if it is submerged. So much work that most people don't even bother.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MFloor

MFloor Pro Member

The wet cork thing, sure is good to know. Stupid installer here, just assumed that the cork backing was some sort of composite that was waterproof too. Amazing the stuff i have learn since finding this site.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

You have a very serious misconception about "water" under your flooring and wet conditions. ALL concrete in direct contact with the ground absent a moisture barrier under or on top of the slab will transmit moisture vapor. Without an impermeable membrane like VINYL flooring that moisture vapor typically evaporates and creates little or no problems for OTHER sorts of flooring materials.

So when Roland tells you to check for moisture he's not asking you if you can SEE puddles of water or damp, soaked concrete. The moisture passing through the slab needs to me measured by professional testing prior to many of the resilient flooring products being sold today-------very popular and very successful when the proper procedures are used.

BTW, the proper procedures for mitigating moisture issues in concrete are generally very expensive.