Would appreciate opinions on these carpets

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Phobie, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Phobie

Phobie Member

I'd be forever grateful for your opinions on these carpets. I'm at my wits end and just want to make a decision already! My local stores have basically NO Mohawk products to choose from that aren't polyester. The ones have I have really liked (short friezes) seem to be really cheap carpet (i.e. can see the backing), so those are out, unless I am to drive 100 miles to look at Mohawk samples. That leaves Stainmaster. I went to Lowe's (gasp) just to get samples because they have the largest selection. I have narrowed it down to these three:

"Pet protect"-Soulmate
    "Durable/family friendly"-Weddington
    "Softest/Trusoft"-Private Oasis

Of course, NONE of the sample boards have any info on them, but I'm certain I only picked up samples that had at least a twist of 6, all nylon, and decent density. My ultimate concern is crushing. My kids are almost out of the house and I intend to get a multi-color that coordinates with dirt and coffee! Ha! So staining is not really an issue. I don't really care about softness, either.

Another question: I keep seeing references to Lowe's "versions" of carpet being on the cheap side, even if it is on the higher end. Is that going to be true if I have my dealer cross reference it to order the same carpet? These samples don't feel cheap at all. And will the dealer REALLY be able to get the same carpet as what I'm seeing from Lowe's?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Phobie

Phobie Member

I forgot to mention that I did find ONE Mohawk nylon that I kinda liked. It was from the Horizon collection: Country estate. But I can find absolutely NO info on it. :(

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Your local stores don't have to have Mohawk samples to offer good carpet, do they? Look at what they have from different brands. And if you take them samples you got at Lowe's and want them to cross-reference, then you are asking more of them than you should. Samples that show the basic type and quality, fine, but trying to find the exact same carpet for you is not an easy task and will no doubt be at a higher price.

Being able to see the backing of a carpet through the pile doesn't make it a cheap or bad product. Friezes are tightly twisted yarns that kink similarly to that of a rubber band that has been twisted. They are not generally a dense carpet - there are fewer tufts per square inch than some other cut pile carpets, except maybe shags. It's not unusual to be able to "part" a frieze to see the backing. That's not to say there isn't cheap frieze, just that friezes can't be judged by the same characteristics as other types of carpet.

Jim

4. Phobie

Phobie Member

There is one store that has a very good selection, but again, I'd say 2/3 of it is polyester. I'm not saying they don't have good carpet, but I found very few that I liked. I really like the samples from Lowe's much better. We do an enormous amount of business with this particular dealer, and it was her idea to cross reference it, so I don't think it'll be too big of a deal.

The friezes samples that I liked and brought home had VERY stiff backing. I know for sure that one had lower grade backing. Feels kind of plastic-like.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You should stick with a nylon product and I don't know those carpets you suggested. I know as a local small town store we beat pricing on several products over the box stores.

6. Crash1big

Crash1big Pro Member

From a cleaning aspect I personally do not care for polys. They are less expensive and colorfast but still... Nylon is generally a better product but pricier. If you go with nylon; try to find something in a branded product that has a "face" weight of 50 or more. Branded as in Dupont or Anso etc.
    When you say "short" I am assuming you are talking about pile height. With that I would tell you that height has little to do with durability. Most cut pile commercial is of a low, dense pile most of which is 1/10 gauge 1/4 inch that holds up well in even medium traffic. Such as is found in many restaurants.
    You say they don't sell Mohawk w/o poly? Do they sell Shaw. Maybe a Tactesse ?

7. Phobie

Phobie Member

I've seen very little shaw products also. I really like one of the carpets from lowes, but I worry about the time/effort to cross reference it, if that's really even possible. . I looked online and found what I thought might be the same, but it had two extra colors. Is the carpet from lowes a different quality even if it's supposedly the same carpet? It is very surprising how much the local stores seem to be pushing polyester.

8. Crash1big

Crash1big Pro Member

Lowes sells the same stuff as a local retailer but under a private label. Lowes typically doesn't have the service capability that a local retailer does though. They are pushing poly because of the price point.

9. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

And to make matters worse - you won't be able to accurately cross-reference anything that is 'private labeled'.
    It's in the contracts.
    The manufacturer couldn't admit it if they wanted to, and the retailer with the private label won't show you their cards - and they shouldn't.
    They probably spent a small fortune getting things where they are now, why lose business to another retailer selling the same product under a different name.

10. Sloa

Sloa Pro Member

Yes, usually the dealer can get the same carpet. If your dealer is willing to just go look at the lowes carpet they probably can figure it out - I do it all the time. Or, take the sample to your retailer, that works.

I have yet to see a pet- protect stainmaster that I do not like. I have been selling mostly the SD Nylon for the last three years. Now that shaw is making it I might see one I don't like :yesss:

If you are concerned about crushing then stay away from the soft and look for the density/twist and you should be fine. 45-55 oz works for me =)