Workshop 2009 Progress

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Jim McClain, May 19, 2008.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I wanted to get a topic started to track the progress of planning the 2009 workshop. We should get the dates/location settled and decide on the agenda so that I can help prepare media information.

So, have any of you had discussions about this yet?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

OK gang we have had enough time off. I will contact the school this week and get available dates in late April and early May so we can reserve the training site and set the date for the 2009 workshop.

Also, we need to start working on the workshop theme, and issues to be discussed. Lets get the ball rolling and not allow it to stop.

3. Jim McClain

Tandy,

As I mentioned in my email to you, the theme we developed for the first workshop, "Building Bridges - Not Walls" should continue to be our theme for all of these types of workshops. That is what will make the website domain, [noparse]www.Bridges-NotWalls.org[/noparse] work and will keep all the future workshops developed with this theme remembered by those who see ads or news items about it in the media and on websites.

What focus the workshop takes is something else. The topics selected for the next Inspector-Installer Workshop should be based on what worked well at the first one and what areas those attendees felt might have been missing, or what else it could have included. I think we have an opportunity to be better organized and I will continue to try to promote the theme of Bridges - Not Walls by getting the press release from the last one out to media and follow up with information about the next Bridges - Not Walls workshops as it becomes available.

I am still hoping to hear back from someone at CFI about the idea of an Installer - Retailer Workshop, as we discussed in email. And I hope other training organizations will join us in sponsoring other "Bridges..." workshops in the future - Retailer - Manufacturer Workshop, Cleaners - Installers Workshop, etc. There are many walls between the various segments of this industry that need to be torn down and each successful workshop we organize will bring other organizations closer to helping us build those bridges to replace them. The fact that we are working on a second Inspector - Installer Workshop lets others know that this could be a good thing for them too.

Jim

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I will agree that we keep the same theme for the next one, then maybe we can discuss any modifications.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas lets put them out here so we can get a jump on next year. If you have any questions or discussion and don't want to write it I am always available at 330 844 1405, or rgfloor@sssnet.com.
    I'm thinking we need to be talking to each other and get rolling.;)

5. Tandy Reeves

I agree we keep the same theme. We can build on it for years to come. I would like to also say we have given Selva due credit for the idea and he tried to sabatoge the workshop, and has said his idea was hijacked and continues to degrade us. From now on it is our workshop and any ideas involved with it are ours.

I just got back from Tulsa Vo Tech and the dates available in April is 3 & 4, 10 & 11, and 17 & 18 2009. The only date in May was the Friday & Saturday before mothers day. All other dates in May are already reserved by school activities. We need to settle on dates ASAP because someone else may take them. I think she will hold these dates for us until Monday (maybe).

6. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Makes no difference to me what dates. I don't have plans for those days yet. As far your comments about Selva, he was given credit for this idea and he will in the article that is being written for FCI magazine. Beyond that we do not owe him anything else.

7. Elmer Fudd

April 17-18 would work for me.

8. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

April 17-18 works for me too!

9. sodak

sodak Charter Member

April 17 & 18 get our vote.

10. Bill Watson

Bill Watson O2bkytn

April 17-18 is good.

11. Bill Watson

Bill Watson O2bkytn

Question,
    Is the plan to keep the upcoming Workshop specific to Installers - Inspectors?
    I ask because when it comes to needing bridges built, there is a real need out here to reach the retailer/salesperson.
    It happens with an amazing amount of regularity, that the salesperson will put an installer in a position where he is doomed to failure, and become a victim of the inspection. (Note, I say inspection, NOT the inspectOR :D).
    I know... in a perfect world, if the installer sees something wrong, he should walk away. But in the rough and tumble world of reality, he also wants to keep his family fed, pay the rent etc, and will do as he is told, and "just put it in".

Don't know if this would be a proper topic, but just wanted to throw it out there.

12. Jim McClain

I contacted the FITS principals and CFI about just such a workshop - I made the contact via email because the main CFI person does not frequent here. I heard back from all the FITS guys with enthusiastic responses, but have not heard back from CFI. I should give them a call tomorrow (later today) to see if I can get some reaction on the idea. My hope is that they can get WFCA involved because they have a large retailer membership base.

In due time (I'll try to make it soon) there will be another website set up specifically to be the news and announcements center for all the "Bridges - Not Walls" workshops. I think we all can see the potential for many bridges to be built between the various segments of our industry. This is just a beginning. But I think it is just as vital to continue with the Installer-Inspector Workshop on a yearly (or more often) basis. That is, I believe, the focus of this particular committee - Building Bridges: The Installer-Inspector Workshop 2009.

As the other Bridges plans begin to formulate, I will keep you informed. For now, all we have is an idea and I registered the domain, Bridges-NotWalls.org. No website built yet, but it will happen. I'm very happy to see we have similar thoughts about this.

Jim

13. Tandy Reeves

OK, I will go over today and reserve April 17 & 18, 2009 for the workshop.

14. Tandy Reeves

We have a contract for April 17 & 18, 2009 for the workshop. This also locked in the rental rates before the increase in August. I reserved the entire space that will seat up to 600 people with the understanding we can go to the size of room we had this year without any penalty and at the reduced rate.

The rental time is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm each day. The cost is $945.00 for the entire facility and $695.00 for the reduced size space.

We need to set the rates for attendance. I for one would like to see this workshop continue as a not for profit group. I did not have any pro or con feedback about having the expenses transparent, but as the one handling the money I sure felt better with everyone knowing the income and expenses. I also think we need to make a decision about deposits. Are they refundable or do we keep them since workbooks and etc. have been made for them. There also may some other housekeeping things that we need to take care of that I have not thought of.

Someone as if this was to be a information workshop or a training workshop. I think it should be information as this year was. In my opinion, a training workshop would need more days.

15. Jim McClain

That sounds great, Tandy. Quick action saved some money too.

As far as deposit refundability goes, I think any printed materials needed for the workshop sessions should be ordered as close as possible to the workshop date (with allowances for delays or problems) so that we can give registrants an opportunity to cancel without penalty. Most cancelation policies similar to this would allow people to cancel up to a month from the workshop date. Cancelations after that date would have to forfeit the registration fee.

I also think we should open this up to additional sponsors. If we can get other training organizations and possibly media outlets (magazines or news/education oriented websites) to offer financial or support services and involve them in the Bridges process, the whole concept would have better industry support.

It may also be beneficial to allow vendors to set up small display and information booths. If the facility will allow it for an additional fee, we could charge the vendors a rental fee that included the space and the workshop registration fee for each member of their team.

I agree that this should continue to be a not-for-profit venture. But that doesn't mean we should not plan for the future and prepare for future events and the goals of the Bridges - Not Walls organization. If this becomes as successful as it has the potential to be, the organization will need to obtain real non-profit status, which would require the use of an attorney. We may want to think about offering a "scholarship" or two for workshops to members of the industry segments the workshops address. This could be a great promotional tool as well. There will be other organizational expenses that do not necessarily belong to a specific workshop too. And we can dispose of surplus income by donating to the FCIF, other relevant charities - or even set up our own charitable cause.

Much of this can be discussed in another committee we might want to consider forming - to organize the organization (Bridges - Not Walls Board of Directors, separate bank and PayPal accounts and other issues any new organization faces). But for now and in this particular committee, I guess we should concentrate on The Inspector-Installer Workshop 2009 - that's just a way I use to tell myself to [​IMG] and quit rambling.

Jim

16. Tandy Reeves

There have been some good discussions about products being difficult to install and other porblems that are coming out of the factories. I do not think FITS/TFP can have much impact on them. However, by building bridges to the retailer and sales people we can impact them. Maybe we should consider a hard push toward the retailing end. The order of bring in people CFI we need them desperately they are the balest that will keep the ship level, then WFCA they reach both areas and exert great influnance.

Please publish the names of the commettee once again and I will print it off. This commettee needs to select some sub-commetties to help move the mountain so the bridges can be built. I agree with Jim the 2nd workshop should be sponsered by FITS/TFP/CFI/WFCA or CFI/WFCA/TFP/FITS. If someone wants to be listings changed around, I have no problem how we are listed as long as we become partners.

17. Elmer Fudd

Some suggestions for sub-committees:

1. Steering- to help all of us stay in focus
    2. Agenda- to put topics together and chose moderators
    3. Promotions/Advertising-to get the word out NOW!!
    4. Organizational- To do the back-room stuff
    5. Financial-To care for $$

You may have other ideas, please post them and we can decide.

Or volunteer to be on one, tell us what you are good at or have knowledge of.

18. Bill Watson

Bill Watson O2bkytn

Although I am a complete novice at anything even remotely like this, I would be honored to do whatever is needed.

1. Steering - I'm pretty good at nagging. (Helping to stay focused)
    2. Agenda - Could be of some help there.
    3 Promotions/Advertising - No "connections" on a larger scale, but would be able to do something on a more local level.
    4. Organizational - Back room stuff - Not sure what that would entail, but have always been pretty good at "grunt stuff"
    5. Financial - Not me. Lousey. Bad. Terrible. Warning! Do not let Bill manage money!
    lmao

19. Bill Watson

Bill Watson O2bkytn

20. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

Working on finances already. Trying to figure method for credit card payments for the next workshop.