Workshop 2009 Committee Thread

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Elmer Fudd, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Elmer Fudd

    Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

    Tandy and I have talked and he suggested I start a new topic for this. Let's try and not get too far off topic.

    First let me quote Bill, "The second annual Installer-Inspector Workshop is currently being planned for the end of April or the beginning of May 2009. The "steering committee" has representation from all three groups, retail, installation, & inspection. Please contact them with your ideas & suggestions. They will appreciate input from everyone.
    Committee: Roger Gerber, Curt Durand, Charles Pruitt, Bill Watson, Danny Ferguson"

    I am open to suggestions on this but for expediency I put together some subcommittee's, If they don't work for you PM me or e-mail me. Adjustments can be made.

    Agenda Committee
    Curt Durand
    Daris Mulkin Bud Cline has volunteered as has Peter Kodner

    Promotion/Marketing
    Jim McClain
    Bill Watson Russ Irwin knows a ton of people as does Chris Mha

    Presenters/ Choosing who will present the decided upon Agenda
    Charles Pruitt
    Roland Thompson Mike Currin will help

    Logistics/ The million little things needed to run the program
    Danny Ferguson
    Tandy Reeves

    Finance
    Pat and Gerald

    Feel free to enlist others who attended this year and get everyone involved. Many hands make light work, the more the merrier.

    Also feel free to share your ideas with the other committee members or if you have suggestions, let 'em fly.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  2. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    OK, this thing has been "sleeping" long enough. :zzz:
    Can we wake it up a bit and get some conversation started? :hu:
    :D:D:D:D

    Let's hear some of your thoughts and ideas.

    I'm including a couple of conversations I have been involved with to help get things started:

    Wanted to get your thoughts on how we might proceed with some advance marketing for the Bridges project. (Please take a look below).

    Thanks for everything,
    Bill


    Originally Posted by rgfloor
    Topic: Workshop 2009 Committee Thread

    Tandy and I have talked and he suggested I start a new topic for this. Let's try and not get too far off topic.

    First let me quote Bill, "The second annual Installer-Inspector Workshop is currently being planned for the end of April or the beginning of May 2009. The "steering committee" has representation from all three groups, retail, installation, & inspection. Please contact them with your ideas & suggestions. They will appreciate input from everyone.
    Committee: Roger Gerber, Curt Durand, Charles Pruitt, Bill Watson, Danny Ferguson"

    I am open to suggestions on this but for expediency I put together some subcommittee's, If they don't work for you PM me or e-mail me rgfloor @ sssnet.com. Adjustments can be made.

    Agenda Committee
    Curt Durand
    Daris Mulkin Bud Cline has volunteered as has Peter Kodner

    Promotion/Marketing
    Jim McClain
    Bill Watson Russ Irwin knows a ton of people as does Chris Mha

    Presenters/ Choosing who will present the decided upon Agenda
    Charles Pruitt
    Roland Thompson Mike Currin will help

    Logistics/ The million little things needed to run the program
    Danny Ferguson
    Tandy Reeves

    Finance
    Pat and Gerald

    Feel free to enlist others who attended this year and get everyone involved. Many hands make light work, the more the merrier.

    Also feel free to share your ideas with the other committee members or if you have suggestions, let 'em fly.

    This all looks fine to me Roger.
    As for "Promotion/Marketing, I have already talked to a few people. The reception has been a little cool, but they have agreed to listen again when I have a little more information/facts available.
    I wonder if it might be good to get some sort of brochure or information packet together. I know there is a lot of work to do before we can have an agenda, program etc, but something to give to folks now might be helpful in raising awareness??



    JM to me
    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for this.
    Your idea of a brochure or informational packet is a good one and I hope you bring it up in that topic. Unfortunately, there has been nothing settled except for the workshop dates. That isn’t enough to put out a brochure. I think universal agreement on the mission statement (I hope we’ll keep the same one we had at the last workshop, maybe with a minor change here and there if needed) and a basic list of discussion topics for the workshop (again, we might just use the ones that were used at the first workshop, but a decision has to be made).

    I do have in the current press release about the first workshop that more were coming. But you are right, we need to settle a few matters and start to get the word out about the next one.

    My other concern is getting the Bridges organization off the ground. All the information coming about the Bridges workshops is coming from TFP and that doesn’t add credibility to the organization. It needs a website and a logo of its own and a board of directors so we can set up a bank account, PayPal payment option for workshop registration and things like that. I’ve gotten a lot of “I’m with ya’s” but nothing more. I have what I think is a decent logo, have registered a couple domain names and have the server space available. But I also have a number of other things going on (I know everyone else does too) and can’t do it all myself. I definitely can’t set up the financial end of it because, until we get non-profit status, it would affect my perceived income and I would lose part of my military pension and housing allowance. Once the Bridges organization is in business, all the press releases, brochures and other information would come directly from that website. TFP will, of course link to it, publish the press releases here (which is what we want other websites to do too) and still host the Bridges forum. But we really need to agree on at least an interim board of directors and get started on making decisions on where to go next and what steps to take to get there.

    Jim
     
  3. Bud Cline

    Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

    I know everyone wants to go forward but let's back up for a minute.

    I must have had my head in the sand so I need a refresher. Was the official press-release picked up by any of the trades? If so...who and where?

    The interest that Roland (or somebody) spoke of several times? Did that ever develope into an article in a trade anywhere? I guess what I am asking is where is the support (if any) outside of TFP and FITS Certified at this point?:)
     
  4. Roland Thompson

    Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

    Yes the Floorcovering News and the FCI Mag. both ran articals about it. Just like the wood Summit that is about to be put on it is up to us to get it going and into the media.

    Roland
     
  5. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    This is the Mission Statement from the last workshop.
    As Mission Statements go, it may be a little long, but it does explain pretty clearly what this is about.
    Although I would like to propose that it remains the same, if anyone has something to add, or can suggest changes, please do.
    As Roland says, "it is up to us" to get this thing going.
    Respectfully,
    Bill


    A symposium of floorcovering professionals who gather for a single purpose: to further the education and understanding necessary for the proper installation and fair assessment of flooring materials. The goal is to bridge the gap in the relationship between the installation and inspection disciplines. We agree that the end user deserves the service and performance warranted by the products purchased. This will be assured by adhering to a set of standards and recommendations established through the cooperation of each of the relevant segments of the floor covering industry.

    This workshop addresses a diverse group of important issues regarding professional installation of floor products and finishes and how these processes are examined by qualified inspectors in cases of failure or fault. Education and communication are our highest priority. We dedicate the study and practice of these issues to the furtherance of our own professionalism and to the assurance of equitable performance for the end user.
     
  6. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    I'd like to bring up the notion of some advance promotional materials such as brochures, fliers, announcements, or handouts etc for the "2009 Building Bridges Installer/Inspector Workshop". We just need some information to put in it. :D At this early stage, we have a commitee, date, time and place, but that is about the extent of it so far. So, if I may, I would like to offer some tentative proposals for agenda topics during the 2009 workshop.
    Some are topics that were touched on at the last one that could be offerd again, some are topics that were considered previously, but didn't make the cut, and some are things that I'm just going to throw out there and see what you think. :eek:
    Most of the last category will pertain to the initial retailer contact with a customer and setting expectations. The idea of trying to involve more retailers/sales people was mentioned before, and seemed to be met with some agreement.

    It's a long list, so here goes. :rolleyes:

    * Product Suitability & Performance Expectations
    * Code of Ethics
    * Limits of Communication BetweenConsumer/InstallerConsumer/Inspector,
    and Installer/Inspector
    * Potential Problem Identification (Beyond the Obvious)
    * Education of the Professenal
    * Basic Installation Skills 101 for Inspectors With no Install Background
    * What Can an Installer or Retailer Expect During an Inspection?
    * How to Make the Installation and Inspection Sectors Work Better Together
    * How "Unusual Installations" are Inspected
    * Advantages and/or Disadvantages of Installer/Inspector Cooperation
    * What Should/Should Not be included in an Inspection Report?
    * Legal Rights of the Parties Involved
    * Documentation for the Installer/Retailer and Inspector
    * Effective Waivers and Contracts
    * Standard Profile for Inspections
    * Industry Myths
    * Site Conditions: Whose Responsibilty Are They?
    * What's Available to Educate Installers/Inspectors/Retailers?
    * Is Installing a Mis-specified Product an Installation Related Problem?
    * Standards vs Recommendations vs Suggestions

    As I said, some of these are suitable, and maybe some are not. I am certain that there are more than a few great suggestions not on this list. But we need to at least get a discussion going so that we can move forward.

    Thanks for your consideration,
    Respectfully,
    Bill
     
  7. Elmer Fudd

    Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

    Great job, Bill.:):)

    Thanks for keeping this in front of us.:eek:

    Let's put some ideas on the table and get started now!
     
  8. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    Hello Hello HelloHello Hello


    :eek::eek::D:D
     
  9. Jim McClain

    Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

    I know, Bill, I know. This can be SO frustrating. It seems like when it gets down to the wire, then you get people wanting to help. They don't seem to understand the enormous amount of work that could be substantially minimized with a good team effort NOW, not months from now. I admit to being quite discouraged myself. I even neglected to get the certificates out when I said I would. That makes me a poor example. But please hang in there.

    T
     
  10. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn


    Hangin' in just fine T.
    HEE hee, just workin' on the enertia.
     
  11. Roland Thompson

    Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

    It would be good if the topic's was set before Dec. so we can start lining up the people to lead them.

    Roland
     
  12. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    After a couple of conversations regarding the upcoming workshop, a common question pops up.
    "So what exactly is the purpose of this workshop"?
    Good question.
    I thought maybe this would be a good thing to address in whatever type of advance promotional material (if any) we devise.
    Here is what I have been thinking about so far:

    Building Bridges Workshop ~ Purpose

    * Establish defined areas of consensus, related to values, philosophies and services.

    * Develop a joint statement about the importance of creating a cooperative atmosphere between the different sectors of our industry.

    * Identify "Best Practices" in linking Retailers, Installers, Inspectors and Manufacturers.

    *Set the stage for strengthening relationships and promoting consensus building.

    *Create agreed upon action steps for the future.

    As hard as it may seem to envision, unless we - those of us on the forum and commitee, take the lead in beginning to break down the walls, any chance of affecting change will fail, pure and simple.
    I do not want to find that when the time for the next workshop is upon us, that we have failed. In order to avoid that, we need your help.
    Becoming an active voice in the dialog around these Building Bridges Workshops is one important way you can step up.

    Climbing down off of the soap box now. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for looking.
     
  13. Roland Thompson

    Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

    I was at the CFI conv from Wed. and left to come home today. I talked to many of the installers there and was talking to them about coming to the workshop. The first question was what is this workshop going to do to help change things for the better? Some other question/ How is it going to help the industry? Can and will the industry be involed? will what is desided at the workshop have any influence on how inspectors or installers work together other then the ones at the workshop?
    I think we need to have answers for this so we can get this moving forward.

    Roland
     
  14. Elmer Fudd

    Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member


    The answer to the first question, in my mind, is that it will help the individual installer learn to TRUST an inspector! How will it help the industry? By starting an open dialogue between inspectors and installers. Will the industry be involved? Only if we as inspectors and installers involve them!! It could be a great tool for an installer to demand from the mills a "qualified" inspector, one who has been a part of this Workshop. The last one, it's hard to say!
     
  15. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    How did YOU answer those questions Roland?
     
  16. Bill Watson

    Bill Watson O2bkytn

    To build a bridge:

    Ideally, it would already be there. Construction of a bridge is based on this idea.
    To accomplish this, you put some part of the bridge in place and use it to build the rest. Building a bridge usually begins with anchors on either end, or towers in the middle. Then, the parts of the span that are built first become the structure
    that supports the construction of the rest.
    Sometimes, a temporary structure is needed to support the permanent structure while it’s being built….an aspect of the same idea. You have to start somewhere.
    You must cross the space in your mind first. What materializes in this world begins as thought. Bridges take a lot of thought.
    All the while, we need to accept that, at least today, what most people think is impossible can actually happen. To the bridge builder, there is a sense of necessity that drives the process. We know we must do it, therefore we do.
    About building bridges, we can make a few other generalizations.
    To go over, we must first go up.
    To go up, you start at the bottom.
    That often involves starting in the mud. It can seem futile building in mud, but it can be done. It’s just necessary to recognize that beneath the mud is solid ground, and to find it.

    To build a bridge, you must find people who will cooperate; who are not afraid of heights or of going down to get past
    the mud. You must be resourceful. But most of all, we and the people working with us on our bridge need to have faith.
    Often a bridge begins as the idea of a single person. Then a few people work on designing the bridge. A few more work
    on building it; some may risk much in the process.
    When it’s finished, a great many may cross effortlessly, and it’s left in place for many generations.
     
  17. Roland Thompson

    Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

    I answered in a way they could understand, saying CFI started 15 years ago with an idea and is still working every day to inprove the industry. If a first step is not taken then nothing will ever change.
    I do feel we need to get the main topics set up and the people that will be running them so we can then start to let people know.

    Roland
     
  18. Tandy Reeves

    Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

    I agree Rowland. It is time to stop talking and go to work. Apparantly everyone is comfortable with the subjects suggested. Lets pick them and then go to work. We need to work real hard to get someone from the mills to come, dealers to come, participate and be a helper in building bridges.
     
  19. Mark in Tulsa

    Mark in Tulsa Pro Member

    Where is this being held at?
     
Loading...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.