Working out of a pick up

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Don Monfils, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

F49B6172-8775-4DF3-BC02-30432DD72005.jpeg 0DE19660-06EF-46F0-A8E4-779B5BBDC96D.jpeg 8A636FDC-B9F9-4E1F-9EF0-6653D89ADFAA.jpeg How do people do it?
    The guy that I worked for back in 1987 worked out of a pick up with a cap.
    We only installed carpet back then.
    The carpet would hang out of the truck and have to be wrapped up. The first thing we would have to do when we got to the job is unload all the carpet before we can even get to our toolboxes. A lot of the times there was furniture to move and carpet to be ripped up and no place to put the carpet.
    That’s why I went from a van , to a couple of cube vans, to a trailer ( since 1977)

Thursday-Friday I had a porcelain job to do. The house had a very steep , ice covered driveway.
    I loaded up all the tools in my truck.
    I thought I had everything I needed but, I forgot my angle grinder.
    I could have freed up some space in my back seat and took out the yeti cooler but, I try to never leave the home without beer...
    you just never know

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I see tile guys here consistently out of open bed pickup. Occasionally rolls of carpet, they are installers fly by nights. (Few months!)

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Trucks are nice when you need to make a dump run with some stinky, moldy carpet or subfloor. My back seat needs to come out of my crewcab so I have more room for tools. I do have a tall topper on mine, keeps my truck out of the automatic carwash though.

4. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I worked out of a pickup for a little while. Was nice for nasty rip ups and tile jobs, but other than that I don’t miss it. Hated having to always strap stuff down and tarp carpet. Vans are high and dry.