Wood-looking floor for woodshop

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Hawki72, Jul 13, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

1. Hawki72

Hawki72 New Member

Hello. I have a DIY question. We are going through a 3-floor remodeling project and nearing the end of the quest (we are not doing the work ourselves). One of the last features is moving the washer and dryer from the basement to the second floor and then using that space to MAKE MY WOODSHOP BIGGER!!

I'd like to put a nice but very durable floor down. Currently I have a bunch of old rubber interlocking tiles on the floor -- very durable but shabby looking, especially alongside what we have done to the rest of the house. The floor is concrete. One wall is adjacent to the garage, a second wall is adjacent to the basement proper and the two outer walls are basically at ground level. No water problems or moisture noticed in 20 years. My heaviest machines are the drill press and lathe - they will be stationary. The table saw is on a wheeled-base that I sometimes need to move to accommodate a full sheet of plywood.

I want a wood-looking floor, likely vinyl plank (reclaimed chestnut, for example). I would appreciate suggestions for the choices I will have; floating vs glue-down, residential vs commercial; which brand/line, etc.

Thank you!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm basically doing the same as you only its in my 2 car garage. I had carpet racks on one side and got rid of them and trying to reclaim my work space. I'm not looking to change the concrete though.
    Just hat a brain fart. Have you considered polished concrete or even stained concrete. I've seen some videoes of some real fancy floors in concrete.

:old:

Daris

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I put a cork laminate in one a few years ago. Also done a couple with epoxy. The first pic is a sawdust looking epoxy basement. The second I found on google I think of a custom wood floor.
    Eureka.jpg
    HF-FOY13_RD50_web_440px.jpg

4. Hawki72

Hawki72 New Member

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the suggestions. Given that it is a wood shop, I think I'd like it to look like wood -- but not be real wood.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Ive seen nice wood looking concrete overlays. Front porch of a builder I met to pick up check at a home he was selling. This house had all the upgrades. Deleted the pic the other day as my storage is near full.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Elitecrete has that Mike. Wood plank look. Its done with an epoxy overlay that you paint on the color after you did the grain. Then a sealer. Time consuming part is putting all the tape grout lines on the floor.
    Wood look elitecrete.jpg

• Like Like x 1