Wood look vinyls

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Barry Carlton, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

With so many vinyls out there that are trying to imitate the appearance of wood (both regular backed and glass backed vinyls), does anyone cut a 'plank' row off the side and use it as a 'header'?

I nearly did that today, but could not get an okay to do so and I thought there were too many 'wood pieces' for the 6 foot length I wanted to head.

2. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

I have done this many times with Timberline and Toly Mature. Most recently with Technoflor.:yesss:
  3. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Barry I presume a header is what we call a boarder?
  4. Barry Carlton

Probably, on hardwood the header is the board that is turned 90 degrees at the doorways.

On the vinyl jobs I have done there have been long enough 'boards' in the pattern to use one as a header, the pattern I did today was a short board pattern and I did not think it would look good to make a fake header.

I was curious if anyone else does this. I think I saw a picture about a year ago where someone (maybe Floorguy) did a header like this in vinyl and also added a grout line in a tile pattern vinyl against real wood (that, I have never done....but will)

5. Mike Sahli

Mike Sahli Pro Member

Not all the patterns have a plank long enough to span the full door width, but i think it still looks better to use a header, especially if you are changing from one color wood plank to another, or from wood plank to a non wood look vinyl.
  6. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I saw that Barry You and I have good memories Maybe someone can track it down
  7. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

And we try so hard to sell and install floors especially sheet vinyl with no seams. ;)
  8. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Maybe this thread should be in the pro forums?

9. Barry Carlton

As I understand it, the more posts in this area the better for the search engines and therefore for TFP.

10. FlooringGirl

Makes sense! Shall we start putting our tech questions here?

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

It's up to the poster. If it looks to be something the consumer/DIY segment can benefit by and hasn't gotten into areas that would not normally be discussed in front of customers, I might move it to the open forums. Sometimes an open forum topic that is more along the lines of something pros would discuss in a company meeting, I will move it to the pro forums.

A couple of times I have moved topics and the original poster contacts me to say he or she didn't want that, so I move it back. I don't always make the right choice, but the topics usually end up where they do the most good.

But yes, Barry is right. The pro forums are private and even search engine spiders can't read them. So even topics discussed among pros only, as long as it isn't confidential information, will do TFP better in the open forums. But I will not ask members to try to figure it out. I just let them post where they want and staff will move the topics to more appropriate forums as needed. Sometimes I have to move only a few posts in a topic - like when they go way off topic - and use them to start a new topic somewhere.

12. FlooringGirl

Jim, I think you have great judgement and use it as you see best!

13. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

Although we have worked with many woodgrain sheetgood vinyls and planks, we have never turned a panel in a doorway to imitate a hardwood install. Thinking back, I can't recall a layout where we would have had that opportunity, as we usually butt up to ceramic or carpet.

Will keep that in mind next time we are doing a wood look. Thanks for mentioning it, Barry.

14. pblnslee

pblnslee Pro Member

I did this about 4 years ago. It looked just fine. Kitchen to Dinning room. A shade different in each room. Both rooms were run the same way. The 6 ft doorway had a 4in piece of a dark green.