Wondering about Perimeter Glue

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Elle, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Elle

Elle New Member

I bought Armstrong Memories 15-year sheet vinyl for my 13' x 12' kitchen. The 20 year old, cheap vinyl (like five-year vinyl, per its thickness) was perimeter glued and held up fine, with no buckling nor gaps at walls. Did perimeter glue exist 20 years ago? If not, then would the dry climate in the southwest explain why there was never a problem with the old sheet vinyl?

I googled and found a thread here that talked about perimeter adhesive and buckling problems on larger areas.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes there was vinyl that was perimeter glued 20 years ago. It was called interflex I believe. I think Mannington made a bunch of it.

Daris

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Perimeter gluing was an option for many of the "better" or more stable vinyls in that time period. I have seen many installations hold up fine with this method.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Interflex was an Armstrong product. We did tons of it starting in the mid 80's and it held up fine. I don't understand your question:

If not, then would the dry climate in the southwest explain why there was never a problem with the old sheet vinyl?

5. Elle

Elle New Member

I meant that, if 20 years ago full adhesive was the norm but some flooring installers felt just using the full adhesive on the perimeter was okay, then would the dry climate have facilitated there being no problems?

Thanks for the help, folks. I have googled more on Interflex and what I had on my floor sure looks like it. I wonder if I will miss the quality of the Interflex. It seemed pretty good.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Maybe a dry climate helped, who knows. I've seen dry ones fail too. Buildings all move due to humidity, climate change and earthquakes. Ways to install vinyl has evolved too. We have perimeter glued flooring,loose lay flooring and full spread vinyl now.