Wolff floor pressure roller.

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by CWEflooring, Mar 26, 2016.

1. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

A heavy floor roller is one tool that hard floor layers should own i never owed one in 20 years of installing mostly because ive worked with other installers on big jobs that owned them . Just latley however ive landed several big sheet vinyl and lvt jobs there was so many to choose from different weights and manufacturers etc . There were several that were the same price then found the wolff one expecting it to be much more being that its made by wolff however i was supprissed to find out it was the same price roughly as all the others at £230 GBP and with a 20% discount from my local tool shop was even better so i built the cost into my first job i needed it for . The wolff roller has several things that make it more pratical than other rollers like the two large carry handles for easy lifting and the quick realease handle for storing in the van . I only went with the 30kg as its more than heavy enough for what i need and eventhough 30kg the sections are spread out there is also a 50kg and 70kg available . Also the transport wheels are made from a hard rubber and are big not tiny little plastic ones and are removable so they stay out the way . The wheels are available seperatley so can be used on the other rollers if you have two different weight ones .

Over all i was impressed with it and now at last own a roller ! ;)

The transport wheels come in handy to stop damage and have ball bearings in to make them smooth the kind of quality and fuctions you expect from wolff.

Attached Files:

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice. I have the 75 lb. crain roller that I bought 25 years ago. It needs a little work as it is wearing out where the friction is from the handle. Going to take it to a welder and have them weld a new attach to the spindle.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm sick of my inferior Crain roller, noisy as all get out. Couldn't they have put bearings on them.

4. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

The wolff one has roller bearings and nylon washers to slow down wear and packed with cv grease that makes it smooth and feel solid and held on with a heavy duty split pin and star cap with induvidual axels so the sections move independantly for slight unevenness in the floor . All parts as with most wolff tools and machines alot of thought goes into the tool and available seperatly all parts and spares should you wear it out so it lasts forever At any price the wolff roller is better than most rollers i looked at . I will proberly never have to buy another in my working life .

5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A few drops of 3 in one oil ? :)

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And then you can deal with the dirty black drips!

7. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Yer bad times if it drips on lino or certain saftey flooring and the stain sets in . Spray grease will work better and last longer .

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My roller was noisy also, all I did was oil it- quit as a church mouse after that. Just don't over do it. Mine was a spray oil.

:old:

Daris

9. Jon Scanlan

You guys definition of a few and my few must be different
    Never had trouble :)

10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I've also always used 3 in One oil on mine. You just have to be cautious.

11. Jon Scanlan

Yeah just on the axel :)

12. Mike Antonetti

That is why I don't oil mine, lot of humidity here and temperature changes overnight equals air conditioning principle causing condensation on cold steel.

I like the idea of independent "suspension" used my roller last week for some sheet vinyl plank pattern and rolled longways for adhesive displacement. The gaps between the rollers are 1/2"

The noise is generated from where the handle attaches to the axle, I guess maybe some rework and nylon bushings may work.

So maybe not over oiled but combined with condensation may cause to drip. Same as stretcher tubes, I just wipe the rust off prior to use.

I like the swivel handle, just took the locknut off after years of screwing tight, somehow it always gets to point of falling off.

Attached Files:

13. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

The wolff roller has 3mm gaps between the sections to avoid the material from blistering and trapping glue bubbles also a good thought out function .

14. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

I use a non-bearing roller and just pop the axle out once in a while and wax it. Just rub a candle on it. No dribbles (oil) or powder (graphite)to worry about...;)

15. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Looks like mine, Mike. The axle has oblonged the hole on mine to where there is an inch of play on one side. I don't oil mine at all and get black chips out of it occasionally.

16. Mike Antonetti

Ken, I ditched two other ones, an antique and a rusty one for this one on Craigslist about 4 years ago for 85$ with the plastic case and rolling wheels that broke apart. Customers tell me to oil it.

I would have to see that Wolfe roller, at a trade show, or supply house before purchasing, I think I would buy it for the benefits, and I still want two to attach together for large areas, they didn't think of that now did they? CWE!

17. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Tandom roller mike ! Maybe you could make a braket to connect them your always adapting things like the vacum on the ride on !
    I like wolff tools always have done due to the better materials used and how tough they are . Plus every part of the machine or tool is replacable so rather rendering a tool unusable and throw it away you can get it working again plus if you have an older duro stripper for example they design all current models in such a way that new parts fit the older machines and vice versa . Ok wolff are no means the cheapest tools but only have to buy them once so logical in the long run. Wolff seem to take a good product and constantly trying to find ways to make it even better if they cant they wont change it . Also if you have a problem with something or it doesnt meet your expectaitons they offer you a replacement and even check to make sure its checked to a high standard no quistions asked and to keep you as a customer will send you a wolff knife free of charge along with a follow up call to make sure your happy . Not many large companys do that anymore like roberts or perssona for example . Wolff take the issue personally and make sure its sorted wolff tools have never failed me yet or let me down on site .

18. Mike Antonetti

Still haven't really made any connection for the ride on vac attachment, recently we held a floor wand attachment ripping up durock over slab, 3-2000 cfm air scrubbers, exhaust vent fan, strategic air flow control to maintain the "dust free" condition. Along with air compressor blowdown of very light dust/homeowners as well and dust cloth final.

Improvise, improve, I thought you were leading to a roller holder on top of scraper to add weight, but I guess if you needed roller you would have to take it off scraper and 100 (pounds! And then you change it to metric)isn't much to add.

19. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Ha ha roller stripper ! They kind of have that sorted with the turbo stripper . You can buy add on weights or failing that the motor hood has two flat foot sized holds on it so you can get a fat painter on site to stand on it and push the stripper along ! All jokes aside thats wot wolff did on a demo day showing just how rugged these machines are and even then you just hold the handle as its pull back handle is self propelled and made mince meat of fully stuck solid wood with the wood removal attatcment fitted to the front that works like a cattle plow ! It was more like a run away battle tank that nothing could stop it ! the turbo stripper for its size is like
    the power of a ride on 3 times its size but only a fraction of the cost .

20. CWEflooring

CWEflooring Pro Member

Failing that and there are no overweight painters on site or your apprentice is a skinny as a rake simply stack 4-5 25kg bags of latex powder on the hood for abit of added weight .;)