wits end

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by danpip, Dec 19, 2017.

1. danpip

danpip New Member

I am rehabbing a house and the garage had asbestos tiles removed but the mastik /tar backing is still on the floor. I used a buffer with a heavy grit sandpaper and sand on it. It would not remove it all. It is nice and smooth now but still have some tar on it. Tried acetone and it just made it worse. Is there a sealer i can just put on it so that i can paint over it without the tar reacting with the paint?

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I hate to say it but that tar you sanded could also have asbestos in it and you abraided it. Take 2 aspirins and call Jim in the morning. Just added a little humor to what could be something serious.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  3. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Have you checked to see if the mastic has asbestos in before you started sanding it
    I’ve removed lots of it but only after its tested for no asbestos I use a 550lb floor grinder sometimes with PCD blades then go back over the floor with a 30/40 blades.

Do not use any thinner or such that just makes it worse also if your diamonds stop cutting toss a little sand on the floor it sometimes will clean them and open them up again.

I have also taken it up by shotblasting it up. I use a 230 sized shot.

Ron

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Take 4 asp'rin and DON'T call me. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ed

Ed Charter Member

I would inquire at a professional paint store. Bullseye 123 primer states it covers creosote, tannin, and asphalt.

6. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Bullseye 123 primer is not moisture resistant it’s just putting a bandage on it. And if it starts to bubble up now you got layers of this mess to remove
    That’s just my take on it.

Here’s a floor that a painter was a few hundred cheaper on and guess what the primer was yep Bullseye 123
    So now I’m fixing there mess
    It was not even stuck just pealing up very sad.

Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You have the two issues, bonding and then possible moisture vapor migration. When vapor condenses under the film of paint it will bubble.

You’d have to go by the exact paint product for specific prep instructions. I think “paint” bonds a bit better than say thinset, self leveler.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Vortex can go over it. I've gone over it with several different chips. phone 305.jpg phone 304.jpg

• Like Like x 1