Wilton on Curved Steps

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by David Hunt, May 5, 2016.

1. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Completed a job this week with a solid color cut pile wilton on curved steps. What made this job more challenging is, because the steps have a scotia molding under the nose of treads, the steps and riser needed to be one piece.

Side note, as a National Historic Site, the molding could not be removed and/or altered. Also, because this was a restoration project and the site has photos showing a runner on the full width of the steps, there was no room for interpretation or personal preference. They needed to be done as per the photo with material of like, kind and quality to the period. Circa 1915. And now they are.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. David Hunt

Here's a few photos of the gate house, the unusual drive to this mountain top home and the view. Also a few photos from outside.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Really nice and deserving of the Spotlight. I uprighted your photos too.
  4. Travis brown

Travis brown I Support TFP

It's interesting to me that these steps are bound instead of turned. I thought the binding was the newer method. I also see that piece of furniture is covered to protect it.

Nice work
  5. David Hunt

Binding is not new. The earliest surviving binding I've seen was circa 1895. The difference here is most of the binding was machine applied where it was traditionally hand stitched. The earlier practice for edge securing was a blanket stitch.

The furniture is covered because the site is closed for the winter and scheduled to open this Sunday. Mothers Day.
  6. Aaron Risley

Aaron Risley Pro Member

Looks very nice. dont know terms for carpeting, but seems like a royal pain in the ass.
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Comparable to flying to the moon, not many can do that work and it be like another day. Hats off!
  8. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

Beautiful work!:)

I would of guessed a waterfall installation in 1915 but I can certainly see why with the curved face they would choose to tack it under the nose...

Cool lookin place too...:cool:
  9. AKRyan

AKRyan Pro Member

Great Job!

Visited this place a few years ago. There is a pond a couple hundred yards away that has HUGE Rainbow Trout. This is where they got "Walter" for the movie "On Golden Pond"
  10. David Hunt

Thanks for the kind words. I did see a sign that read; feed our giant trout, just past the gate house. It sure is a small world.
  11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Giant trout you say? Hmmm...sounds like some recreation is in order.
  12. David Hunt

It's funny how life works. This weekend, while traveling to visit my mother-in-law, my bride and I stopped at a yard sale and what did I find, another carpet chair. Also known as campaign chairs, from the carpet, color and pattern, I would date this chair between 1865-1885.

What's interesting and why I share this here is the binding. A stitched black canvas 'typical of all the early binding I've seen' is original and surviving intact. Just thought I'd share this.

Attached Files:

13. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You don't say if you bought it nor how much was being asked for it. I'm nosey I guess.

14. David Hunt

Sorry. Yes I bought it. They we're asking $30.00 and that's what I paid.

Several years ago I made the decision that anytime I see a carpet chair or rocker in original condition to buy it. The usual price is around five to ten dollars because folks don't know what they are. They'll say things like 'that could be a good chair if you take off the old carpet'. Even the one shown above, the seller told me he had planned to strip and refinish it but just didn't have the time. :eek: I'll clean the wood and leave it exactly as found.
  15. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Any idea what the chair might appraise for as a collectible piece?
  16. DLong

DLong Pro Member

That looks great i recently did [curved steps] at the county library. It was with 6' Powerbond. Took a total of 3 1/2 days with me and two men.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017