Wifi Thermostat

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Mike Antonetti, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Customers home went to adjust thermostat. Some are complicated, programmed for on-off times, small buttons, etc.

This one I walked up to, tapped a button and had control. Extremely easy to use, maybe it uses iPhone type software, I looked it up a little on Amazon and it says icomfort.

I've been looking for couple years seeing who will emerge, how it will integrate with mobile devices, ease of use.

If I can operate the thermostat away from home or if I wake up and the thermostat control is by my side, that's convenient.

It has all the proper info displayed. Temp., Humidity, Outdoor temp., even Forecast.

Is there anything equal out there or any other thermostats that you like or dislike?

Attached Files:

2. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Nest makes a good universal wifi stat. Operates through a phone app. You can set all kinds of cycles/programs/temps, for around $400. It's not a touchscreen like the ones you showed, but you can control basic settings right from the stat, if you're feeling nostalgic.
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

This is my favorite one.
    I don't have to think about how it works at all :)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Mike, I have an Emerson SenSi thermostat, had it up north and took it with me when we moved to FL. Turn it up, down, hold, off, heat, cool, set maximum or minimum for auto heat and cool from your smart phone or desk top or lap top computer. Makes it easy when you are away and you can lock, electronically, so no one can make any changes to it. Like it a lot.
    When I bought it, got a great deal, paid $129 with a $100 rebate from our gas company, that was a couple of years ago.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

$250 for the 3rd Gen - $150 for a Nest E (does the same thing)
  6. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

We moved recently, and the old school round thermostat was in a location that is a pain in the rear to access, and since I didn't want to go through all the mess of moving the thermostat, I ordered a Honeywell wifi thermostat from Amazon for $99.99... https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Programmable-Thermostat-RTH6580WF-Amazon/dp/B00Y6M2OUC
    We've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and it's a great thermostat. We have an Amazon Echo (Alexa), so changing the temp amounts to saying "Alexa, set thermostat to ?? degrees". Easy install (needs a common wire to the furnace), and works great. As an added bonus, I can really mess with anyone who's at home from wherever I'm at with the app on my phone. Not that I would do that, but I could. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Thanks Gents. Based on responses, wifi good, Honeywell good, in general moved forward.

I contacted "my" ac guy. Was a kid who worked with his dad and went out on his own, now he's pretty big, maybe 20-30 trucks. I think I just scheduled a service/changeout from a text. The new way of doing business?

Attached Files:

8. Mark Brown

I would definitely say you did :)

I would do all my business by text if I could. No more remembering, lots of scrolling though.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Jeff, I installed a Honeywell this year. Only I went with the RTH9580WF.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

I had to call his shop, then they said they had to pick it up before scheduling. Off today was hoping to get it done for us!
    Was thinking they get it from a wholesaler in the county who basically denied me a sale of a filter in a previous home saying I needed to be a licensed ac tech even though I had a maintenance tax receipt. Thought they would be out of business by now due to their rudeness and business practice.

I could change it out myself, but I will disturb the tech with questions, basically picking his brain to get the value of the service charge, see if he's competent, and if he can make some suggestions on further improving the A/C.

Nice model Dan, saw the utube video of it.

11. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I really wanted to go with a programmable to try to lower the utility bill. Went with the wifi because of a regular house guest (insert son-in-law) that has a habit of deciding he isn't comfortable.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Summertime I can't go higher than 77 during the day and drop it to 75 at night for my own personal comfort. 40-55% humidity. The movement of moisture vapor is my next concern. I assumed this being a newer home that 1" rigid insulation is behind the drywall but now I'm not sure. Started looking into insulation and now I'm not sure if foam should be on outside of home in Florida of a block home.

We seem to have permanent visitors at the moment as well, fly away birdies!

Note on Programming- apparently the "visitors" didn't take the trash to the road. How bout a programmable trash can?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  13. Mike Antonetti

Got it installed today. Had to set it up online registration, App. Sitting here I felt a little warm, hit the app and turned it down a bit. Smart tv works on an app, wife’s adjustable bed as well, next may be the lights. The lady that works at the booth for the A/C company at Lowe’s said her family sends her all the things to keep her up to date, was wondering how lights were controlled, she said it was maybe a bulb adapter. She also mentioned talk to google thing.

Attached Files:

14. Mark Brown

The lights I am familiar with are Phillips. They are controlled with WiFi, then the app. It is getting insane the things we are investing money in. Move over famine and human rights, I need light bulbs that can change a million colors and I don't have to get off my fat ass to do it. It is a mad mad world.

..Cheers on your thermostat however :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

There was a bar down the road from me that had a jukebox that you could play songs on from an app on your phone. Sometimes I would be kind enough to drive by and pick a couple Celion Dion or Barbra Streisand songs for the fine folks inside. :p Just imagine what fun I could have if I could control your lights, heat and whatever else in your house. What progress we’ve made. I remember when the only fun we were able to have was with cordless phones and baby monitors using the same frequencies.
  16. George_M

George_M Pro Member

I like and use EcoBee products. I have an Ecobee 3, with 3 of their temp sensors scattered around my house. I have my humidifier connected to it too.

I've seen the arguments of the sensors go both ways, they don't allow to actually zone your HVAC system, but they are really great at letting you tune it if you have dampers installed on all your branch runs. You can set them to "follow" you but depending on how well your HVAC system is designed/balanced it can cause some rooms to be uncomfortable.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mike Antonetti

Very happy with my thermostat. I finally set a schedule for hot and cold parameters though it’s been about a week of that. Wife said it was 81 so I said I would set it up, the motivating factor. I haven’t changed it in days, I assume it will go from heat at night to cooling in daytime for this time of year.

The price was maybe a bit high, Amazon has it for 175$ but I wasn’t positive I would not have issues with hooking up or proper one, I will have to save $ from the settings and not even having to think about setting it or changing it before leaving for work or a weekend getaway.

Attached Files: