Why the Delay when typing?

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Not always, but on the phone as typing it doesn't instantly transfer to screen. Sometimes it's almost two second delay.

Is it phone, or the site?

2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

What kind of phone?
    Do you see lag in any other contexts or just on TFP?
    Have you tried rebooting?

3. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

It's a phone thing. I bet it's not a regular thing. Depends on how far from the nearest tower you are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Not necessarily true. Is the phone parsing text inputs and getting bottlenecked at the processor? Is there a 3rd party keyboard in use? Is there another app grabbing the keyboard intents? In most situations a text box isn't an online thing - it's a caching thing. You get a blank box to fill in and then when you hit 'post reply' the whole thing is dumped back to the site. You do get exceptions to this if the site is using some kind of scripting to examine your input (like when you tag people on Facebook). It's really hard to know why a delay is happening without knowing some of the specifics.

5. Mike Antonetti

I'm on iPhone I think 6, it's random I'd say 10% of time. I only notice it on tfp, she since the new software started.

6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I'd blame Jim first and go from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

8. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

My I phone 6 lags at times too got me what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Switch to Android

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Mine too but it's still way better than any android I ever owned. Doesn't need replacing every year like my androids did. Shit, I just got 4 years out of my 4s and it's still going but the screen is cracked and people judge so I got a 6.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

I get a lot of years out of my phones except one I dropped in a puddle. I had the Motorola flip phone, then yeah s ago I wanted one of the new big phones, wife laughed until now they're the size of the one I originally wanted.

Wife's dad had Nextel two way beep phone for years he'd talk to his drinking buddies like on CB.

Another problem I have is phone calls randomly go direct into voicemail, my wife thinks I set it that way when she calls, if I knew how to do that I would.

12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Nextel were great until they weren't. On a personal level I don't like being talked at. I suppose that could have as much to do with the people as it does the device.

13. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I really liked Nextel also. I could talk to my son is California whenever I wanted to. But then Sprint bought them out and like most competition buyouts the competition company goes down the tubes.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1