Why Can't I Get My Floor Installed Properly, by Ray Thompson Jr.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Nate Hall, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I read this and it made me say HMM. What do you think?

[excerpt=Ray Thompson Jr.]In every industry you encounter costs. With the floor covering industry of the past, the installer was a craftsman that carried his skill in his head and hands. The tools of his trade were simpler in nature and inexpensive to acquire, while his education and experience went on for a lifetime.

Over the past 20 years, the floor covering industry has evolved from the industrial revolution to a technical revolution due to the higher technology in job conditions, materials, adhesives, tools and installation techniques.[/excerpt]

Read the whole article here:
    Why Can't I Get My Floor Installed Properly - Column - National Floor Trends

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  2. mcurrin

mcurrin Charter Member Published

This author brought up a very important point, one I will use from now on. What is your training and education budget?

Mike

3. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I use the WFCA scholorship program so I have an annual budget of $500.00! I will sometimes go over for certain occasions like Surfaces and the CFI convention etc. The most important tool I have is me, so if I don't know what I'm doing the rest of my tools are just dead weight.

4. nimrod

nimrod Pro Member

Some of the blame deserves to be placed on the consumer for not knowing what their needs are, or the willingness to spend the money to have the installation done properly.

THIS X 1000!!There are qualified competent installers who know what they are doing but customers expect us to do our quality job for the same $$ as a hack from a big box.....:(. In this economy most time low price wins out over quality...

5. twomly

twomly Pro Member

Yes but wasn't it Lincon that said The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

6. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

I have never heard that qoute before. I looked it up and credit must go to Benjamin Franklin.

A lot of truth in those words. Actually I think this should be the new motto for TFP and should be on the front page.

Good one Tw!

Rob

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Without giving personal information, I average 5-6% of my gross as education expense. So if my gross were 50K, I would spend up to $3K.

Education expense is an interesting topic though (I may split it off) as I always wonder what to count. Direct out of pocket expense or lost time at work in addition.

8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Interesting ! I tweak methods on occasion or train myself with a skill I didn't have before in order to meet the needs of a particular job. Sometimes I wouldn't see it coming, so it never got figured into the quote. Do ya think that lost time is a tax deductible expense ? Probably Not :ohno:

9. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I think this should required reading for every store owner and salesperson!!! I also thing it should be handed to every shopper who enters the store!!!! Finally I also think it should be required reading for every installer in the store!!!!

10. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Depends on how you set it up your costs. ;)

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

On a humorous note, look at the title of the thread and remove the comma.

12. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Good call. Your bad.

13. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

I used that in a store ad once!! ;)

Tia

14. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

I'll print and pass out to everyone tomorrow. Just because ...

Tia