Who done it?

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Chris Mha, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Which one of you fine professionals installed this vinyl plank? The whole basement was installed like this. Obviously a DIY. I would hope

Attached Files:

2. If the but joint lines are straight then I did it!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. As ugly as it is, that's actually a pattern that's promoted on a couple different materials in our showroom. I think its terrible but ultimately it's up to the person with their checkbook out.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Some interior decorator idea I bet. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

That’s the classic contractor install. I just saw one that was done by a contractor doing coretec in perfect thirds. Looked okay but still wrong to my eyes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I've been asked on multiple occasions to install floatng click laminate planks and glue down planks like this. I would simply NOT do the click lock install this way for obvious (to an installer) reasons but if that's how they REALLY want it I'm OK with that. More common is the half stagger joint which is also wrong to my eye. I could compromise on that because it's really just a matter of waste and allowing for shitty little pieces falling randomly on more complicated layouts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

As I recall, because it's been about 7 years since I did a click lock floor, but I thought they wanted the boards staggered to give it strength to keep it together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Incognito

Most of the commercial laminate I've been able to read instructions on specify a RANDOM stagger but I don't ever recall reading in those instructions any explanation as to WHY------I believe you do want the random stagger mostly for cosmetic reasons but also for less waste as well as structural reasons. Aligning the cross joint is just not a good idea.......for so many reasons.

9. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

That's why we stagger the joints on plywood when we put it down.

10. Incognito

We know stagger joints are better, and correct from a structural standpoint but in "specified commercial" installs there's an architect or designer with cockeyed ideas about what looks good. That's when I NEED those written manufacturer's specs/installation recommendations. Or, if they give me too much grief I'll get the installation rep from the factory on the phone/text message/Email. On glue down I frankly don't care because that's only about appearance and traditions.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

They sometimes want the lines running the other way.