Which is most important? Twist, Density, etc....

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by SoCAlinAR, Nov 3, 2017.

1. SoCAlinAR

SoCAlinAR New Member

After 18 years in our home, we are recarpeting the living/dining area, bedrooms, hall and stairs. Not a huge job (about 107 sq yds), but big enough that we want the carpet to last a long time so we don't have to do it again any time soon. We are not in a high end neighborhood and just want basic comfort and durability that we can enjoy and the aging dog can occasionally be sick on without causing panic. (Yes, I know that warranties won't cover that...we'll just have to do our best to clean it up, I guess).

I have informed myself on many of the factors involved in choosing carpets and have come up with a list of some to consider, but none of them seem to be the perfect combination of factors the internet tells me are important. So which factor beats the rest? Higher twist with lower density? Lower twist with higher density? Shaw's Lifeguard backing...a great thing or something to avoid? 6,6 or 6,0 nylon? If .5" is an optimal pile height, is .55" too thick? Below are some of the carpets I'm considering, and I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can hint me in one direction or another.

Shaw Harbor Fields II, Evertouch Nylon, ClassicBac, Twist 5.15, Density 3363, Face wt 43.9, Pile .47"
    Shaw Harbor Fields III, as above but Density 3508, Face Wt 53.6, Pile .55"
    These two are priced well and seem good, but what about that twist? Is it good enough to wear well for a long time?

Shaw My Choice II, Anso Nylon, SoftBac, Twist 6.1, Density 2553, Face Wt 39, Pile .55"
    This one seems low on the density, but has a bit higher twist and is the Anso nylon, instead of Evertouch.

Shaw Refined Vision II, Stainmaster TruSoft Nylon, SoftBac, Twist 6.3, Density 2932, Face Wt 44.8, pile .55"
    Some people swear that Stainmaster's 6,6 nylon is the one to have. But the density is lower than both the Harbor Fields, and I've heard that the "soft" nylons don't hold up so well? Also, how straight forward is the warranty on this, since Shaw doesn't cover it the same as the fiber that they manufacture themselves?

Shaw Always Active, Anso Crush Resistor Nylon, Lifeguard waterproof back, Twist 7.1, Density 4212, Face Wt 58.5, pile .5"
    Lifeguard waterproof backing....Love it or hate it? I like the specs of the carpet, but would be paying more for a backing that I've heard can create other problems.

Does anyone have *any* thoughts regarding any part of the above? I've got to make a decision soon, and I feel like I'm going in circles trying to figure out my best bet!

2. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Sorry ! nothing personal, but this is why I install and not sell, however my body wants me to. If that ever happens, I'll need to make an attitude adjustment. o_O

Every now and again, I'll sell to friends but really dislike the process, because there are so many different aspects, like you have shared. One needs to be knowledgeable, patient and a good communicator. I wish it was easier for everyone.

Do you like and trust the salesperson you're working with ?

Hopefully a more qualified sales member will chime in and help.

Wishing you well

Mike

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SoCAlinAR

SoCAlinAR New Member

Thanks for the good wishes, Mike. I am buying through a store that was recommended because of their installers, not their sales person. He has weighed in on some factors, but there are still questions that I have. Have you, as an installer, had any experience with the Lifeguard backing? (My sales person hasn't, but can get it for me). I'm wondering what the installers' view on that particular product is, since they are the ones that really end up handling it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

I've installed ' hot melt ' (thermoplastic) years ago, but mostly glue down method not tackless over padding. It shouldn't be a problem though and actually the seams will be stronger. Hopefully more members
    will chime.

I wish the old apartment carpet had ' Life Guard ' / Hot Melt backing,
    because my precious dog 'Paisley' had accidents on it, making it necessary to pull the carpet back, remove damaged padding and treat the plywood.

Thanks for valuing the installation trade and good luck w/ the project.

Mike

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I would choose the lifeguard, trying to sway my friend toward it for his living room instead of me having to porcelain plank install meeting up to path of tile from entry to rest of house except bedrooms (also the lifegard recommended)

Twist means nothing to me, I believe in high density nylon, less movement, and holding fibers up.

6. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

And this is why it is hard for the customer to know what to do.Everyone has their take on it. More filaments and twist means more to me the density. I look at it this way. Take a rope, you want to pull something, do you want a rope that has more twist and fiber all wrapped together or one that is just got a lot of straight fiber ? with more twist it will act like a spring and bounce back faster. This is my finding from the years of tearing old carpet out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

While I have been far away from the business since 2009, I have always explained the density, twist rate and the length of the tufts by showing the uninformed consumer a sample of a good commercial cut pile carpet. With the assumed high traffic rates in a commercial installation, the sheer density and short pile height of the product is quickly understood by the perceptive customer.
    Dick

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1