Which carpet pad? Do you use noise proofing with it?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by ImpetuousRacer, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ImpetuousRacer

ImpetuousRacer New Member

So I am building a house and we are putting carpet in basement/basement stairs and some rooms.

One place recommended STAINMASTER Splendor pad. It's memory foam, has a moisture barrier and is breathable. Looks to be way better than the standard stuff.

Looking up info on it, I see Leggett & Platt makes it.
    They make 3 series: Standard, Plus, Advanced Comfort System

For Advanced Comfort System there are 3 series:
    Microblend, Rubber XD, DuraPlush
    Under each series are tons of options.

The one they recommended is part of the DuraPlush series.

So my question is, in upstairs rooms with little kids running around, I wanted to add some sound deadening under the carpet/pad so I do not hear the loud thumbing all the time downstairs.

One carpet place said "Pad is good enough". A sound deadening place recommended a rubberized underlayment added.

What's the right pad to use? What do I use for sound deadening? Whats the right combo? Is the Rubber XD pad the best of both?

Carpet we are planning to use is
    Upstairs: Tuftex Burton Creek (Stainmaster Platinum/TruSoft)
    Basement: Shaw Caress All At Once (Shaw R2X)

Are these materials good for those spaces? With little kids, stains, spills, is R2X as good as stainmaster? All seem to be Nylon with good warranty.

Thanks for helping a noob out!

2. Casey Shaw

Casey Shaw Pro Member

ImpetuousRacer,

We are a manufacturer of sound deadening products, so I'm coming at this from that angle. We've reviewed & performed extensive testing on our products & competitive products. From what we've seen, high-quality carpet pad under high-quality carpet deadens sound from running kids.

I'd recommend the carpet underlayment.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

4. Casey Shaw

Casey Shaw Pro Member

Should've shared that we focus on sound deadening for hard surfaces, not carpet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

No need to put anything other than pad in the basement.. In my 52 years I've never used anything other than pad. But times have changed I guess. I do not know what these sound deadeners are.

:old:

Daris

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Necromancer in the house!

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm doing a house of wool carpet right now and they also have wool pad. Its about a half an inch thick and real nice. It would have been good to talk about that during the framing and incorporated a sleeper floor so the sound wouldn't travel through.

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

you want to deaden sound? Insulate those damn joists :) Nothing is ever too much work if you want to put the work into it

old thread sure, but information is always relavent.