Where's the CFI school trainees?

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Antonetti, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

So where's the Pudding? Let's hear the results? How's the school going? Where are they placed? Into the Big Box regime under an installation corporation?

2. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

So far the ones that have came are back in their area working for a retailer. We are working on being able to get grant money for people.

3. Mike Antonetti

I can't remember, do they get "free" tools? I got some free stuff from a school/class, ended up costing me 200$ on plane ride. Maybe support from their local tool supply vouchers to start shopping when they get back home.

I drove to Minnesota for my carpet school and they carted us over to Hanks Specialties couple times, spent a few grand there, ordered from them about four other times until local sources were easier.

4. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

It is a big issue in california for public work. The CFI schools and RFCI and all of them are 100% not applicable towards apprentice training. Our schools here are all run by the unions. There are zero schools approved to train that are not union schools in California.

5. Mike Antonetti

Apprenticeships are 2-4 years no? I understand that you can't get the level of training from 5 weeks. It's a good heads up, I'd still work with a seasoned installer for couple years. I enjoyed my apprenticeship, I didn't have every responsibility, they put me on my own early though. I worked with an almost old timer who drove a restored 1972-5? Ford truck.

6. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

For sure Mike. Just hard to rationalize sending new guys to these schools when they dont get credit from the union training program. Not that I could do that since those apprentices can't work for us day in / day out since we are not signatory.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

7. Rodney Henderson

Rodney Henderson Pro Member

Roland, any news on the progress of these guys? It would be great to get a "Where Are They Now?" kind of follow up with them.

8. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

I will look into it. I do know that some already had a job lined up.