Where is Karndean manufactured?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Keena, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Keena

Keena Member

I know some people on this forum have Karndean vinyl plank flooring installed in their homes and really like it. I just ordered 5 samples from their website. Does anybody know in what country Karndean is manufactured? I don't want flooring from China or some third-world country. However, I've seen very little vinyl flooring made in the USA that I like the look of and what I do like isn't carried locally. I would be okay with flooring made in Europe. Keep in mind that I will be sleeping a couple of feet above the floor, my dog will be walking and laying on it and I will be walking on it in bare feet in the summer. The flooring will replace the carpet in my living room, dining room, hallway, bedroom and den. I can't have any toxic flooring. Thank you for your input.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm guessing it's manufactured in Chiina. They do have some buildings in US. Interesting it's a English company, I assumed it was German.

3. j248

j248 I Support TFP

china. It is a very good factory...top notch.

Made in china does not make it toxic, look for an sds sheet to see what plasticiser is used. DINP was the most common for a long time, but it has Ortho-phthalates in it which have been linked to certain developmental issues in children amongst other things. there are other plasticizers that have these same issues. Look for LVT that uses DOTP, that is the one that is free of ortho-phthalates

4. Keena

Keena Member

Thanks j248. I've actually been reading up on phthalates and different plasticisers. I did automatically rule out any chinese-made flooring after the Lumber Liquidators laminate debacle. But I decided to at least consider the Karndean vinyl because I like a lot of the colors/styles and it does get good reviews.

5. Mike Antonetti

6. j248

j248 I Support TFP

What is interesting to u specifically? Phthalate is in the name and part of it's make up...I found that odd when we dealt with this 4 years or so ago, like it is of similar namesake but it doesn't have the ortho in it. Ortho is the bad version and has the potential harmful effects. Crazy what the bad plactisizers were used in like pill capsules, and I believe makeup products( something j&j made). It became an issue after the study done showing box store contents, and the usage of the plasticizers along with post consumer recycled content. Virgin vinyl becomes like an amazing new development, and it was maybe 20 years ago.

7. Mike Antonetti

Interesting in that I didn't specifically know the difference of phthalates till you posted the 4 letters. So now I know when a customer asks about a safe product, I can guide them. It will take more research for brands to recommend, and to trust what it says on box is actually true.

8. Julies

Julies Active Member

9. j248

j248 I Support TFP

This became news last year in April I believe. It was box stores' products tested only

10. Mike Antonetti

I'm still skeptical, good info tho, thanks

11. j248

j248 I Support TFP

Floor score certification is something of great importance, as it certifies products meet California air quality standards. I wouldn't purchase nor use one that wasn't certifies as such...there is also greenguard certification for air quality. California standards are very high in terms of emissions and air safety. 2nd I believe only to European standards.

12. Mike Antonetti

I have heard there is a Million square foot LVP manufacturer building going up in Dalton Georgia. I heard it was Mr. Shaws, or could have been a carpet fiber plant. Haven't been there in a while but it continues and expands the epicenter of not only carpet, but the flooring industry.

13. TFitts

TFitts New Member

Karndean is made in Korea which is a good thing if you want quality vinyl flooring. Avoid flooring made in China.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

not all karndean is made in korea. Some of their lines do come from the great red bull

15. TFitts

TFitts New Member

Thank you. How do I know which ones are made where?

16. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

good question...

red box good.
    green box bad.
    At least that is my experience.

17. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

This one is made in Korea.

Attached Files: