What's your go-to finish nailer?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Jim McClain, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I go by how much it is and how much I am going to use it mostly. I use a porter cable 16 and 18 gauge guns for how much I use them. They have been good, no problems at all. I also like Max tools. Have one of their framing guns and a 18 gauge staple gun.
    MAX USA CORP. | Rebar Tiers | Nail Guns | Power Tools

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I have the Milwaukee... it’s awsome.
    My Paslode guns haven’t seen the light of day since I got this nail gun. It has a lock out feature when you get down to three or four fasteners it will not fire. It also has a nice led light.
    I have quite the collection of Milwaukee tools, they are all fantastic! 8BD520F5-E2C1-46E5-B8D2-32ECDE090AFB.png

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

We had a couple paslode that used fuel cells and battery I suppose to ignite the fuel charge. After 2 broke we went back to good ol air compressors.

I’d buy battery for lighter duty small jobs. Milwaukee for durability, Ridgid for warranty.

5. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I’ve been using Porter Cable stuff for years but many of the tools sucked and have broken down. Over the last 6 months or so I’ve been switching over to Dewalt. It started with a $100 refurb weed eater I bought on a whim and turned out to work better than any gas trimmer I’ve ever owned.

I bought the finish nailer a couple months ago and am loving it so far. I do a lot of stair runners and have to cut a lot of shoe to fit on landings and pie stairs. I used to use everything from hot melt to sticky tape reattach shoe after cutting it to fit. I wasn’t about to carry my compressor around for stuff that small. A cordless finish nailer is perfect. It’s great for reinforcing strip too. I can’t compare it to any other guns but so far I just love the thing.

I picked up a Dewalt jigsaw yesterday for some underlay in my dining room and it is a huge improvement over my old PC. I bought a cordless hot melt gun a few months back that is also really nice, by default it uses Ryobi batteries but came with a dewalt adapter. It will pretty much run all day on a battery.

I’m still using the PC drill and impact driver but will replace them soonish just to keep all the batteries the same.

Also have a slightly off topic question. Are the cordless staplers suitable for underlayment? Do they shoot fast enough to keep up or no? Does anyone have a version that shoots carpet staples? I would spend any amount for a good cordless stapler.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’ve got Porter Cable nail guns for back up. They work just fine. I picked up a couple Senco nail guns a couple years ago and have no complaints. Metabo has a cordless 23 ga pin nailer now but I’m not about to start buying a 3rd brand of cordless tools. Super glue with activator is the bees knees for returning ends on trim work.

7A2FA4B8-7606-40B6-A35E-F8BE657A6A10.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim McClain

No cordless nailer I've seen has the ability to nail as fast you need for installing underlayment. Not yet anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

DeWalt 1/4 crown FlexVolt is not as fast but nearly!!

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought a ryobi finish nailer a couple of years ago on the cheap, thought I might use it a couple of times a year...practically don’t bust out the compressor anymore after owning it. Especially with the dramatic decline in underlayment installation due to floting floor popularity

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim McClain

I can't find the FlexVolt stapler. Do you mean a DeWalt stapler using FlexVolt batteries, or is there a specific "DeWalt FlexVolt Stapler?"

11. Barry Carlton

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’ve heard the same thing about the dewalt 20 volt tools. If you put a flex volt battery in them they have just a little bit more oomph

13. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

100% the exact same thing. I bought it figuring it would be a POS but i wanted to test out the feasibility of owing a battery op and well, wasn't i surprised. Now, i know there are better options but ill be damned if that little thing didnt preform

14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Duo-fast hands down for underlayment

15. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I didn't know duo fast made a cordless nailer.

16. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

17. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought a PorterCable early last year. I got tired of lugging my compressor up the stairs that are found on so many of the jobs I do, for just a small amount of base, or shoe. But I like it so much I use it most of the time now. Its a bit on the bulky side, but it hasn't posed a problem yet.
    It's nice to have the usual air tools as back up though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

I got one Porta Cable for 1/4 round. Rest is both Dewalt or Milwaukee. I break out the compressor only every once and now and then

19. Barry Carlton

I do a lot of UL so I still use the compressor on most jobs. But the DeWalt stapler is sure nice when I only have a couple of sheets. That and the flex volt worm drive saw.

• Like Like x 1