whats the name of this backing

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Z-Carpet, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

i know this is a natural fiber carpet, and ive done a few natural fiber installs before but it they had what looked like a "jute"/berlap" backing, and i know the special stretch guide for installation.

but what backing is this and will this one have any stretch in the Width

Attached Files:

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I think what you got is a velvet weave. Only 2 colors in the face. What you want to do is leave the white chain stitch on and a good job of LATEXING it. Loose the chain stitch the yarn will fall out. How well is your seam tape holding? I'd use the Koolglide myself. Or like Orcon's Su-90.
    I'm not a firm believer in thermo sealing for woven goods.

:old:

Daris

3. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Looks to me that it is a Karastan Kara-loc backing. Stretches more in the length.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

With those backing swatches it would be nice for tips on each backing. I don't have a set but it would be nice to learn and be aware of the many types.

5. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

i agree ~

google carpet backings, or even the installation book i have, yeah they mentioned like 10 different names for backings, but never do they show pictures or examples............:mad:

6. Completefloors

Completefloors Pro Member

Yea. especially because different backings have different ways they are to be stretched. Many people do bf he same stretch pattern for every carpet

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Do you know the manufacturer? If Karastan then definitely Kara-loc. But I don't think it is nubby enough.

:old:

Daris

8. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

It's a velvet, made by Bloomsburg. They've been cranking out different versions of this for decades. If I had to venture a guess I'd say it looks like Ashford sold under the Prestige Mills label.

Yes, this will have minimal amount of stretch in the width. Remember, woven carpets are to be fit drum tight. The big issue with this product is; even though it reads as a solid, it still needs to be fit straight and square in the room. Best results will be realized with the use of J-pin architectural strip with a gully space no larger than 1/4". Using
    the 'pinch-in' method to secure cut edges into the gully space delivers a very clean and secure fit.

PS: If the strip is too far from the base, this will look like crap, it will lift and it will ravel. Maybe not when you leave, but soon after.

Pre-stretch seams and don't forget the pattern match. The product is pliable and with a little patience the weaves surface texture can be aligned for a near invisible seam. What ever you do, DO NOT allow sealer anywhere above the foundation of the weave. Natural latex is optimal sealer, acrylic is next. If you think you want to thermo-seal don't. If you really want to thermo-seal find a different carpet to install.

Lastly, and this is probably the best tip of all, when working with a product like this, you really need to keep all relief cuts to an absolute minimum. This carpet does not hide cuts. Especially small cuts like we tend to find around door jambs.

All this said, this is a nice product to work with.

Hope this helps.

David Hunt

9. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Daris gave me a set several years ago. Came in handy doing inspections

10. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

installing it this weekend let u guys kno how it goes