What's the best thing you've ever gotten from a customer

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Chris 45, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I've often thought there needs to be a TV show about our jobs. The wild things we've seen and had to deal with. I've also gotten some pretty nice things for tips and gratitude for a job well done. What's the best or craziest thing you guys have gotten? I carpeted a chicken farm office and got a case of eggs. Does anyone know what you do with 15 dozen eggs? I do... Now.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Tears of gratitude and a hug, that was nearly the greatest and one of my fondest memories. I got a few hundred-dollar tips over the years, which were always very nice. In 35 years, I guess I was offered a lot of gratitude in various forms - meals, furniture, a 1953 Hopalong Cassidy lunch box, weed, tickets to shows and events - some I accepted, some I didn't. But I guess at the very top of my list has to be the friendship that developed with one of my earliest customers, a builder, who has been my best friend for over 40 years now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I can't say online. Jim might kick me off. Just joking. Gift cards, cash just to name a couple. It's awesome to get something but to me. A simple thank you and a great job is fine with me.

4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Off the top of my head, it would have to be a home cooked meal, with special energizing sauce. It was Eggplant parm, side of spaghetti / vegetables, literally eaten 15 min. before 1.50 hrs of tennis with no indigestion and amazing focus on the ball. After 9 hours on my knees I kicked ass on the court. I should find that customer and jar up her life giving gravy.

Mike

5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I got called to look at a "claim" at an non-profit animal shelter. They had a low-end felt-backed inlaid product that had been very poorly installed and very poorly chemically welded. The seams were gapping so bad that they were a tripping hazard and they had literally duct taped them down in some places to keep people from falling.

Sometimes I believe the Big Guy Upstairs really makes things happen for a reason, just so happened that 2 weeks prior the mill had shipped me the wrong color of high-end commercial 12' wide beautiful sheet vinyl (Mannington Realities) for a project that was almost exactly the same size as the animal shelter - it was a small place only about 100 sq. yds or so. The mill gave me a full credit on the material because it was going to cost to much to ship back and told me to use it for a mock-up or a test floor.

Needless to say I knew immediately what to do. The director was so happy that after the floor was installed she brought a cake and a thank you card to the office. It's been about 8 years and she still sends me pictures of animals laying around on the floor and it still looks good.

Made my day to see someone so happy. Sometimes things just work out. I ended up adopting a Boston Bull Terrier named Sweetie from the shelter. So I got a friend and a dog out of the deal.

6. I would have to say the "tears of gratitude" are by far the most rewarding. One of my "toughest" sales was for a little lady on a small pension who just wanted a floor in her kitchen and dining room.

After a few sets of samples mailed out to her, she called me up asking for a quotation. She had a hitch in her voice and she was very nervous. She kept apologizing for taking all of my time for such as small order.

When she found out the costs, she was so happy we came in UNDER her budget. After she received her product and had it installed (her son did the work = free labour), she called me, in tears to tell me how happy she was that she finally had her cork floor - and for less than she had budgeted for. Those few extra dollars may not seem like much - but to her, it was a really big deal. She could go out and have coffee with her friends once again. She was delighted.

That's the best type of gift someone like myself can receive.

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

In commercial flooring what you hope for more than anything else is that the customer continues to call you back.

NOT to fix mistakes or sloppy work-----but for more work. I look at every job as an opportunity to demonstrate my skills and the advantages the company I work for offers to the customer over our competition.

The last "tip" I got was over 25 years ago and I was very uncomfortable accepting it. The lady owned a small retail store over in Culver City and my apprentice didn't show up so I was there 13 hours on a Sunday plus I had to fetch the company truck and do the delivery so I think I wound up charging 15.5 hours. I think she threw me $20-40 which was very generous but to be honest I felt like I made enough money that day. She was there all day nervously watching and I really had to bust ass to get it done so she was impressed at how hard I worked.

I just wanted to go HOME!

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

A $180 tip during January, a notoriously slow month for me. It was kinda crazt to see a tip that big

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

It's only money.

10. Floor Boss

Floor Boss Flooring Professional and Mgr. I Support TFP

All of the Above! Being the last guy out on insurance jobs, people want to kiss ya!
    I've made a great friend with a client, been given very nice tips....furniture...
    The most unique, aside from actually traveling to Papeete, Tahiti to install wall to wall, the Owner and His family took me to a full blown Polynesian Dinner Show at the Hyatt Regency! Nice Coconuts!
    Good times!
    David

11. kylenelson

Except when you really need it, then it equals stress relief.

12. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

Years ago when working at Sears furniture and floor covering, I had sold 2 bunkbeds to lady who had rooms for college students. I was working on a hot August evening and got a call from her. The beds had been delivered and of course they were not assembled for her. So I went over and put them together for her to save my $14 commission.
    A few months later she called me and asked that I come see her. It turned out that she was planning a major construction project, and would I help her with the floor covering? Of course I agreed, and it turned into a $20K+ deal for me.
    She told me how much she appreciated my efforts on the beds, and she said she figured I would do as well with her large project.
    Dick

13. kylenelson

Got a $400 tip recently for doing a two day carpet job. I don’t think that’ll ever be topped for me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mike Antonetti

Why so pessimistic? Out of Character!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. kylenelson

He peeled $100 bill out after I finished the pad and said he could tell I was doing a good job. Then another at the end of day one. Day two he waited until I was done and gave me two more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Mike Antonetti

Nice when customers appreciate the actual person doing the work. Had some trailer tires put on my new rims, desk guy said throw the tech some money so they were on it, helped load em up, threw em 100$, working people sure aren’t getting rich.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

A voice mail message to the project manager complimenting my professionalism, but 400 bucks would have been nicer :) Even Mike and a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. kylenelson

Sometimes a good compliment, especially in front of others, is priceless. But when you get a good tip and a compliment...

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. JayP

JayP Pro Member

I must be working for the wrong clientele. Most I’ve ever gotten is $20, and normally I’ll get $10. In a typical 5 day week I might get tipped twice, maybe three times. Some weeks, like this one, I didn’t get any.

I really don’t feel it’s necessary but I do appreciate when I get them.

20. kylenelson

I can go a couple months or more with no tips. I like to charge enough that people don’t need to tip!

• Agree Agree x 3