What's the best and correct way to carpet side of outdoor steps

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Z-Carpet, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

What's the correct way? I know this might hard to explain or answer .

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I wrap about an inch or so down off the top and fit a piece for the side. Different for different carpets but that's what I do most of the time.

3. Tj333

Tj333 Pro Member

I measure the step wide enough that it will drop over the side to go down to the dirt, make the seam or seams as needed. I put least amount of seam as possible in the least obvious locations as possible. Depends on carpet and steps. All one piece if I can. Glue tread and riser. Get them on good. Then glue sides and finish it out. Waterproof glue sticks really well, although it is pricey. It's about $70/3gal, where you can get regular prolly $27/3gal around my parts.

4. Tj333

Tj333 Pro Member

Ahhh that would work for one step. Multiple steps prolly not so much, better not listen to me, lol.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We won't :coffee:

6. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

Is z not talking about stringers up the sides which usually turn out better if done after the steps. As long as double cutting the stairnose is ovoided when making release cuts on stringer

7. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

talking about outdoor steps, like cement or wood steps leading up the a porch , with outdoor

but on the topic of stringers, i was taught, stringers first then steps, and thats all i ever heard, why do u do it back wards?

8. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

Because by doing backwards the raw edge of the stringer is facing downward. If stringer is done first the step carpet better be cut perfect. Just an 1/8 to wide the step carpet curls up on the stringer showing raw edge. But like I said you have to be extra careful when releasing the stringer over the stairnose not to double cut. Round edge blades for me. square blades cause problems. I had an installer tell me once that round is for beginners. Opinions are like Holes we all have them. As long as the latter are covered I respect them all.

9. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

For your step question I say if the tread stops flush with the wall cut carpet 1.5'' to wide then using a strait edge score the backing a half inch from edge with a screwdriver. That will help the carpet fold clean and strait so it can be turned and tacked. Sometimes I will contact cement the edge also to keep it folded just the way I want it. Hope that makes sense

10. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

this is what i do and one time a customer was mad because the seam where the side carpet met the step carpet, i hot glued it and sealed it up nice, clean, bead of glue. normally id try to put some glue in there and fold the naps together to hide it but outdoor little loop outdoor carpet that isnt possible

11. Travis brown

Travis brown Pro Member

I'm not suggesting a seam especially on an outside corner. I'm saying your step carpet should be wide enough to wrap the side about an inch or however big plus a little extra 1/2'' or1'' or so that's where the scoring ahead of time come into play. It's not a have to it just helps. So when finished there is no raw edge on the side. Although with cheap indoor/outdoor the backing is showing anyway. So carpet covers step then wraps side then folds over itself