What would you do?

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have a call to repair some bad seams in a berber carpet that was just installed for one of the local stores. It seems they took on a new installer to them and he fudged it up. I already know what I'm going to do but wondering what you would do. I have been given an open book on how much to charge to repair, they just said we got to make the customer happy. If I can't fix it the carpet will be replaced.

:old:

Daris

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

what placement seams??

my go to for seam repair is to assume it was not power stetched. Remove seam tape and offending rows, crab or pole it back together, throw in some stay nails and see you later. For more extensive and when possible repair unhook some walls pull it over and restretch. Depends on where that seam is... but you already know that :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I use to feel uncomfortable with the homeowners about them complaining about the installers. It just doesn’t sit right with them that they didn’t get things done right to begin with.

I hope for you it goes right, just takes the right person, I had to make sure we collected the check.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark Brown

I'm with you Mike, I really hate unhappy customers. Especially when they aren't mine in the first place. It is a good feeling when you can salvage a train wreck though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I can never really charge what it should be for helping some people on issues with other tradesmen.

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I think most salespeople we deal with know this. So they say you can bill whatever you want but they know you won’t especially if you have a good working relationship with them. It’s a tough business to be in business but every year I get a little better.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Mark Brown

I finally did it lads. Last time I went to fix one I charged what it paid the first time. I was very proud of myself!

My logic is its cheaper than a replacement and the original installer is out making money some place else that day. Unless a shop canned them, then maybe I can give a break

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

If a standard iron was used and the issue is peaking, I would back tack 8'' away from the seams, power stretch into the seam,
    causing them to hinge open just enough to apply hot glue. Use the long and narrow tip, then release the stretch and weigh it down with seaming weight, lather, rinse, repeat along the entire length of the seam.

But we all know Daris will probably use a basketball needle and latex
    bottle. :)

As for the repair fee, 300.00 min. or 600.00 for the day. No thinking about this that or the other thing needed. When someone calls for service, we say " What service would you like to buy today " and price it out, no need for past or future
    thinking, just the present purchase at hand and your awareness of its value.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I like the way you think, Mike. I was thinking $500 for the day but I sure won’t turn down an extra hundred. After all we do live in a society of monetary punishments. Pay your taxes late? 100% penalty. Get a DUII, there goes 10 to 15 thousand. Why should we as skilled tradesmen be any different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Well I went and looked at the repair today. about an hour ago matter of fact. Living room seam doesn't really be a problem but like Mike S. says it is a basketball needle fix just to be on the safe side. There is a pulled loop about 3 inches from the seam line. Don't know from what but and easy fix. Now the BR doorway might be a different matter as the Seam has a jumped row that is very obvious. Light color against a dark color and one side is fuzzing. So I hope I can get 2 rows out of it in the middle of the door. Set up to do it next Thursday.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  11. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

show us some pics of it, if u may, just curious