What to apply over black cutback with asbestos?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Rcmichaeldie, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Rcmichaeldie

Rcmichaeldie Rc Diyer maintenance

Hello,

My boss gave me a task to cover up our warehouse front entrance. Do whatever it takes, he said. Its roughly 30SF probably less honestly. The warehouse is 80 years old. The floor is concrete with the black adhesive, gets walked on 3 times or 4 times a day. Just looking for some good recommendations and what I should be looking to put on or apply to the cutback. Then paint right over it to make it look good.

I've attached a picture of what the black mastic looks off Google, but all the tiles have been removed already. So its bare with the adhesive for people to walk on? Help?

Attached Files:

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It’s hard to get the big picture and statement of the flooring you want to convey. Usually the cutback is a bond breaker, so painting over even with primer will probably peel over time. There are primers for putting pressure sensitive adhesive over it for carpet tiles but doesn’t need extreme bonding due to just needing tiles held in place without sliding.

3. Rcmichaeldie

The flooring is strictly going to be paint. No carpet or tiles. Something to bond with the adhesive and then paint over it.

4. Mike Antonetti

If you have the paint you would then contact manufacturer for “primer” product they “recommend” to go over cutback if possible.

5. Rcmichaeldie

I have uploaded better photos of the floor

Attached Files:

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Most floor prep products are not meant to be used as finished floors. You would need a product that is meant to be used as a finished floor. Something like Ardex SD-M or SD-T would work but that’s a lot of money to put down on a pretty smooth floor that you’re just going to paint. If you’re thinking of just skim coating the floor with plain ol floor patch, then painting it, it likely won’t hold up.

Mike nailed it. Whatever brand paint that you plan on using should have a recommended primer to use prior to painting the floor.

7. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I just wonder if one of those 15" buffer/polisher machines would be enough to take the residue off the concrete. I think they have large sanding disks for those also. Maybe one of the guys in here could shed more light on that.

8. Mike Antonetti

I’m kinda locked in to what I can say. Asbestos can be removed by homeowner with proper procedures, But you’re a hired employee, your employer should not delegate the job to you. Licensed Asbestos remediation is also not the best process when they encapsulate the residual fibers which products (paint, adhesive) do not stick to.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have covered several of them with Vortex sprayliners products just fine. Call them for a dealer in your area.
    phone 024.jpg phone 030.jpg

Vortex Spray on Liner website

10. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Its polyphatic, you really need to know what your doing as it sets fast. Epoxy needs grinding but Vortex has a primer system that doesn't need grinding. There is a company out there that has a primer for epoxy, can't remember who it was.