What the heck???

Discussion in 'TFP Support and Feedback' started by Steve Olson, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Both early this morning, and just now, when I replied to Darren's auditorium post, while entering my post, the cursor is so delayed, it screws up my post. It doesn't help that I can't type for crap, so I"m back spacing often to correct. Its not doing it now, as I type this, so I'm wondering if its the auto save feature? Odd.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Yeah, that was early!

I have the same issue maybe 6 times since the new software from my iPhone. I shut it down sometimes it works.

Usually happens right after I talk about Russia!

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I've never had that happen here, but I have on other sites. I also experienced delayed or sticky scrolling (on a PC). Did you notice that too? I'm pretty sure it's not the auto-save feature because the sites I experience it on don't have that (maybe one did, but I don't remember - I do know 2 other sites didn't).

Unfortunately, I think it may be one of the ads. It may have some auto-start video or audio thing. Those kinds of ads just PISS me off. I have blocked that type of ad here, but once in a while, Google (Adsense) is spoofed into running an ad like that. It doesn't take long for them to get wise, especially if enough publishers (people who use ads on their sites, like me) report them.

To report an ad, I have to know where it leads to. I can sometimes tell just by looking at the ad - the company name might be displayed, or there will be some other clue. I don't see every ad you do, but if you take a screenshot of it and send it to me (jim at thefloorpro dot com), that will help.

Another way is to right-click the ad (you can only do that with a mouse or trackball, of course) and select the menu item to copy the link address. Then you can paste that address in an email, or in a text file and take a screenshot of that and send it to me. You could also post it in a reply to this topic, if you put it between [CODE] [/CODE] tags. It will look something like this (DO NOT CLICK THE LINK):
    Code:
    https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/pcs/click?xai=AKAOjsv0xXuLupPmIk3j8N36CZn5nGybyi7e25CxukT9FDx2loHc4hauDDF2uYi-TaAXz24nqWr5rnnbrVYbOjKpVxtLmjJapIvyc0hPDBnF4X07vbGv1T6VLox2yYNpYN5YH8VL-jSbr6RwTUhC5E0hWKvlVQ4RpTrks2YlSjFp6NB3SBPRYfOsxFIUfqe4mPiRy7cgaRd6Dx-K4aUY0rZA2iLbDbvxXQxD1XX_U0D1sFqrJZYnCAsJ9j1lCVbDSYfKFk3RieIee2vWgDDj091bDOLeGWtwzxaLbG5oTdc_HhBe_VYrlRskxygzzlc-5YpwRWWDUcptcNDv6Nrjcu5GsX3O-afo_VjEUvtulFIHc7kaX8zF-b4dklBuJcDo_Oj0f6mBSqdLWUDnXhkEIPKuEHIqJPT3ZEHGBJxMCDm8xGfAHg_JTBfcIBlBGNEm8BDE9LKaWFfvyjnxv4kHph2cc4hiTP4_GxZVUqE5YzxbcRJkeE5CF3xkp19dh3_vsJdf_iXZl5QAak4yUodsSxZVOD2F17dFseEzdwMph8MlEGvU0hFPUVXGdpL8aQ8BkJ0xOg22rwlmTC-9jLlpaVTs3Le8FjUSMX4fL5i-FQsqdRNezZc1SLklIOwPOVkzRStJ-i07Mo6K615T0exFCFaTY6gN3g9Bal6kLKibdQmjgKwAJjHKqwXBeMlgQsAFv0m37i_O39M7dejfqhTo7TYu2sNk5yJym7N3FHwkJFMo3Wl8v9-RLSvcbK_kAHD_erSpt32uZultoExdAhLl2-qWa9y9iC6PlCQCOgdt5oV8f-4VKVIHy5B-p-FX-xn4pXPDADxWjxcN&sai=AMfl-YSfpGdK3fpfaHcp4bgwWJdwUDj6YYVHYPlAEl69GWP-SS8MkHrDViEUO-QyPq2qeiAuNZwcOOO9h1YcIisspzBUfiyMG-QiAMCU&sig=Cg0ArKJSzPebjejE6ur8&urlfix=1&adurl=http://web.consumerreports.org/test/SEM/version11.htm%3FEXTKEY%3DI311CROINVITE%26dclid%3D%25edclid!
    DO NOT CLICK THE LINK Looks like a lot of gibberish, but near the end is the website it links to (this example is not a bad ad).

Of course, this is only my guess as to what's happening for you, Steve. I'll do my best to fix the problem, but I don't know exactly what the problem is yet. I do know that no one has reported problems with the auto-save feature of the software on any of the support sites I visit every day. But bad ads do get reported occasionally and I look out for those too.

Jim

4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Thanks, it was odd. I thought at first someone here was sucking up my bandwidth, but then I remembered everyone else was asleep. It was interesting in that it only happened when replying to a post, not when creating a new one. But, I'll do what you said and see if we can track it down. Thanks so much!
    Mike, "it only happens when I talk about Russia" thats damn funny.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

They look at me funny, I know who they are. I gotta be careful before I get old(already!) younger generation may think I'm crazy.

I'll consciously try to see when it occurs, so far for me it's random. I'll hit the post button sometimes before finishing so not to lose it.

6. Jim McClain

Ah-HA! Now I'm almost positive it's an ad. When you create a reply to a post, the same ads are on the page, more specifically, the right column. When you create a new topic, there is no right column. There is an ad in the footer, so it might also occur while creating a new topic, but the chances are much less.

7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Ah-HA thats not correct for me Jim :)
    The only times I see ads is on the main page not on the reply page as I am typing this on Firefox there isn't any ads to be seen
    I just changed to Windows Explorer and there are no ads either

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. Jim McClain

I see you have the "I Support TFP" banner, which means you have donated financially and shouldn't see most of the ads on TFP. This forum software has been much more difficult to manage that, so it's not as ad-free as it used to be, but I hope you are seeing far fewer ads than normal. Not that we run that many ads. I think currently, there are 3 different ad locations on the forums and supporting members should only be seeing one of them most of the time.

9. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was wrong Jim
    The ads are there cause I am looking at the bottom of the page I think they have gone when I hit reply, there is one on the top of this page, I think the ads have gone when I go to reply
    Sorry about that idea not working :)