What surfaced at 2017 Surfaces

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Sliwinski, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Yo ! give us the good, the bad and the ugly from Surfaces 2017
    Did you go ? and what did you learn or Teach ;)

Mike

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That is what I see from the shows, not much being shared with others, new products, hype, I usually see a couple things that are interesting. Some companies may be offering 10%? discounts right now due to convention.

3. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Lots of new stuff this year. I was not able to go see everything due to certifications and meetings I was involved in. I did see a neat butane Heat welding system. Some nice looking designs from many manufacturers. As for other tools not alot of new. New Installation systems coming we will see about them. Had to be invited to their room to see them. All in all it was worth the time and money to be there.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I heard that the WOC convention was down in numbers this year.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I wonder what the balance was for the vendors if they shifted or concentrated on WOC when they have products for both venues. I saw the layout of the vendors to WOC. A lot of equipment I'd be interested in.

I guess there should be emails sent out to those that have went to WOC in years passed and Surfaces and why they did not go, and what their plans are in the future to go.

6. Mike Sliwinski

How did the Certs and meetings go ? productive, encouraging, disappointing and what could be done differently to improve, in other words, I / we, would like a little more Surfaces substance O brother Roland :D

Thanks !
    Mike

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They are a bit spendy Daris. I have 3 powerstretchers that work fine for what they do.

9. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

The certification went very well. We had a fellow from Japan that came to get his RII, they do things over there that is about 25years behind us. He could not understand what was being ask of him. I was asked to work one on one with him. I really injoyed that. Everyone I talked to said the meetings they went to was very good. Vendors told me that traffic was very good also. Better tools have a new blade that is made to scare and cut LVT. Crain has a few new tools that they came out with. Daris showed you a few from Gunlock.
    How the floor was set up this year I liked. They spread the floor out in a good way. Mixed the product up. Lots of new tile vendors with new tools.

10. Daris Mulkin

Have no clue on pricing.

:old:

Daris

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

$500 for big squeezy

12. Daris Mulkin

The "Big Squeezy" was made because of a suggestion I made that we need a seam stretcher that we could run an iron under. Steve Gundlach listened.

Daris

13. Mike Sliwinski

And he decided to name it after YOU ! ;) :D

14. Mike Sliwinski

Thanks for sharing more stuff Roland.
    Sounds like an opportunity for a by-lingual installer.
    All the way from Japan, I hope he passed.

15. Daris Mulkin

We once had an installer fly in from Alaska and wanted to go to R11 & C11. About 15 minutes into the cert he backed out and just tried for the R1 & C1. Very expensive trip for his boss.

Daris