What should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by Chris 45, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So I got asked to go and putty some nail holes in a stair. No biggie, it's stupid but makes for an easy Friday and I was told I could charge whatever I felt was necessary. That sealed the deal for me. Needless to say putty won't quite cut the mustard on this one.

After looking at the job, numerous items will need to be ordered and I will return to fix the abortion that it is and I plan on hammering the living sh!t out of the installer through my bill if for no other reason than I refuse to be someone's fix it bitch. My conundrum is do I offer to have the original installer come with me so he can learn a few things and in doing so, give some of my knowledge back to the industry? Or do I just bill appropriately and move on to the next one.

I don't even think the original installer wants anything to do with this job anymore but for what I will bill, it would be well worth his time to learn something. What are your thoughts?

Here's just a little taste:

IMG_0949.JPG

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Will your lawyer type up a cease and desist letter and send it to him certified?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Chris 45

Maybe just break his thumbs like Paul Newman in The Hustler.

4. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

He or she's embarrassment would stand in the way of learning, obviously way out of their service skill........Maybe an offer working
    along side of you, on your next stair job, would be the way to go.
    Do they sell putty in 5 gallon pales ? ;)

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Holy sweet merciful crap!

....you know that feeling you get when you do something and just don't feel right about?? Nothing is really wrong but you just don't feel it is as good as it could be?

I don't think this guy ever had that feeling.

I would not bother to return to site with that installer, some boats just sink no matter how much you bail them out

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Now my question is do you run the riser to the top of the step or do you run the step over the riser?

:old:

Daris

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Who really is to blame here? I bet there's more to go around than just the installer. Whose responsibility was it to select an installer that also had cabinet making skills. That step is no average step and the materials provided are perhaps not all suitable for that part of the job.

It's painfully obvious the installer isn't very good at quarter-round; that outside corner miter is pretty ugly. I would never have taken q-round all the way around that step in the first place. Pre-planning and use of the right materials after the floor was laid would have covered any expansion gaps.

And who was the designer? Affinity for wood, you think? Jeez that's ugly!

As much fun as it might be to rake some installer over the coals who has never done a step with that material before - and just barely knows how to install quarter-round - the person who assigned that job to the installer is probably more to blame. Trying to use the lowest quality installer in order to save a buck and providing no oversight during the job makes the person in charge the most at fault, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would offer them to help fix their screw up, we need to learn somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris 45

I'm pretty sure the installer used hand shears for the 1/4 round and sadly enough the customer didn't even complain about that. I just can't put my name on something like this even if I am just 'filling some nail holes'.

@Jim McClain I know you're right about who is really at fault here But sadly I don't think that will change any time soon. I was telling one of my fellow installers on the left coast about this job and he's the one who planted the bug in my ear about showing the installer how to do things correctly. I originally wasn't even thinking it would be worth either his or my time to do so but that does nothing to help the industry that has provided me with a good living for 20 plus years.

@Daris Mulkin I like to try and have the riser box in the stair and then the stair nose covers over that. I would have probably gotten in the right frame of mind and spent a couple hours on that step alone. My micro bevel is a hair off at the miter but other than that, and a tube of liquid nails, I was pleased with this step.

IMG_0056.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That's not the work of a professional flooring "mechanic" or skilled carpenter, so it's not a matter of offering this guy some pointers. He's lacking basic skills, common sense/judgement and integrity-----which you need to have to admit you are not up to the job.

I wouldn't want him on the job site whilst I was repairing his work. Once the customer was out of earshot things could get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The only thing that people understand is money. Repair the problem and stick him in the A$$. Enough times getting stuck he may ask for help to find out what his problem is.

:old:

Daris

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

I was at work today thinking about this(easy when it's repetitive and unchallenging) can't remember everything I thought of, but part of it was "giving back to the trade" that gets my goat(no, I don't have one) and was hoping Incog would go off on the whole issue, yes I would pay for a rant! It was good, not enough juice though and Daris took it to the next level. Makes some people appreciate fine work!

13. Chris 45

The situation is what it is. I was thinking about an installer I knew years ago that has since left the trade. Arrogant as all get out but his skill level was top notch. Either way, he wasn't liked much because he was quite the prick and would tell you straight up that he wouldn't help you, tell you or show you jack shit. Now I've been known to be an ass (mostly I just poke the bear) but in the end I don't want to be that guy and god knows that some installers here could use all the help that they can get. Whether they are willing to accept it is not yet known.

14. Mike Antonetti

This forum is receptive to help, I certainly am here for that reason, most in the flooring field do not know we exist or just read the posts without adding their value.

Giving back to the trade? The trade has taken advantage of the common installer. Thinking today people working paycheck 2 paycheck and not treading water. From what I've learned recently, there's some backstabbing going on in my area, who should I help? I'm getting ready to confront when I get some days off, gonna be satisfying.

15. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I agree with Daris 100%. Under any and all circumstances you ought to stick it to that installer with a hefty "backcharge".