what makes a plywood UL grade

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by cproader, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cproader

cproader All over T's last nerve Senior Member

I got a 14,000.00 marmoleum job to install today, and the 5/8 plywood installedby the contractor is not stamped underlayment grade. He says the supply store who sold him the plywood said it is Ul grade. I told him that don't do it fer me. So I am curious what is the hardness rating fer a UL. I see no evidence of plugs but it is a 5 ply looks to me to be furniture grade with a Douglas top ply. I aint installin the marmo til somebody gives me some evidence that this is indeed UL. So if'n any ya guys got any idea what I should look fer, I'm all ears.......I called berry, but he said he was busy and not to bother him at work, or home, or anywhere as far as that is concerned.......:pout:

2. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

try this???

Attached Files:

3. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Senior Member Published

Well, if you did not bother me with such EASY questions.......;)

You beat me to the punch. I could not get home fast enough to post your well asked question!!!!

Good to hear from you :)

b

4. cproader

Ok, so I go to the supplier to get some proof of his claimin this is rated fer UL. Just so happens they aint got anymore in stock and aren't gonna get anymore either......:poke:......but he says the had a stamp on the edge of the sheet, and it is Arroco or Arocco UL....anybody familiar with this brand.....

5. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Sounds really convenient that they don't have anymore and aren't going to get anymore.

6. hookknife

hookknife Hard Surface Installer Charter Member Senior Member

I feel for you CP, I guess it boils down to whether or not you accept the substrate???? As the Warranty will lye with you.:hu: I will say this though, I have personally seen jobs go bad because of unstable underlayment (Luan) etc. Some woods are very sensitive to moisture introduction as you well know.

7. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

If I was you I would install a 1/4" arctic birch panel over what is there. ;)

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Years ago the only UL we could get was from Plum Creek and they must have had buddies giving them that stamp. It got so I would float the whole floor with patch to find the interier voids in the sheets to cut them out and patch some more. Then I was using a yellow pine that was alot smoother and harder on top than the fuzzy PC brand. That was nice but can't get it anymore. The interier voids didn't bubble up in that as the plys were thicker.

If any doubt, get it signed off by the GC and get to work.

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

maybe that's why plum creek is closing down left and right? haha

10. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

CP wouldn't they have an invoice for that ply when they bought it? The invoice should have what product it is. The invoice has to be in their puter somewhere so they can pay the supplier they got it from

11. cproader

Talkin to the GC lastnight and he told me this was a 200,000.00 kitchen goin in this area........:blink:.......ok so ya wanna skimp on the base floor that all that will sit on.......:hmmm:...........I didn't think so. So today they are removin the crap and havin me put in the UL I want........:p

12. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Good for you cp. Isn't it nice when someone actually pays attention to you. Ya kind of want to pinch yourself.

:good:

13. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

I just installed 7 sheets of supposed "UL grade 1/4" plywood. It's 3 ply and very nice looking goods.
    At the end of the day, I was re rolling before I left and discovered 5 places that looked like a bubble. It was delamination. Largest one was almost 6" long and 3/4" wide and approaching 1/8" tall.
    The same sheet had another smaller one less than a foot away. Another sheet had one that is visible in a hallway near my seam, tho not an issue to the customer. One more is very minor and another near a seam into the existing kitchen vinyl.
    On the large one, I layed a 5" by 10" piece of wood on it and put the 100# roller on the wood over the weekend. I figured this might allow the moisture in the adhesive to migrate throughout the surface layer of the plywood and equalize it. The weight has been off of it for 3 days and it looks fine.

I'm goin to the lumber yard to inquire more about this "supposed" UL grade plywood.

I showed the customer where the bad spots were and said to let me know if they come back up............ I don't think they will, but I want to touch bases with the lumber yard to let em know this stuff has issues.
    Dang, and I was so darn happy with the looks of this stuff.

Like kwfloors said, skim coating will show me the problem areas if there are any............. but this stuff looked so nice there was no reason to skim coat. Belt sanded the seams and a very skinny layer of patching mud was all that was needed.
    I know it will be fine, but I am still ticked off just knowing I can't trust this stuff.

14. Barry Carlton

It could be just a bad batch. I had a bad batch of Halex 3/8. Same issues it sounds like. Also loose footballs and other footballs that did not get sanded. In this area Halex is the Cadillac of UL's.

Some times it just happens.

b

15. cproader

:eek:.........was it stamped anywhere........Here's what I found after we tore out the 5/8 plywood.......It was stamped on the edge.........:poke:........it is Arauco Plywood UL........:brick:.......WHY THE HECK WOULD YA STAMP IT ON THE EDGE !!!!........:mad:........so it was great stuff that is comin from Chile.........But I took berry's advice and installed 5/8 Halex and aint gonna tell nobody about what we tore out........:shifty:.....so ya guys keep it between us, ok.........:blink:

16. Barry Carlton

Now, be honest,.....berry told ya it would be fine....remember. And someone named Mark also said "that's good enough for me"....remember ;)

b

PS.....I have never heard of 5/8 Halex...we do not have that here.

17. cproader

:eek:...........:hmmm:............:shifty:...........yer breakin up.......

18. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Yur killin me.:D:D:D:D:D:D

19. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Just because some plywood is stamped UL grade doesn't mean you should use it under sheet vinyl or lino. ;)

Haven't ever heard of 5/8" Halex either.

20. cproader

:eek:........:brick:........ok I took out 5/8 and put in 3/8.......cause the height of the Marmo was gonna edge at the hardwood.....so I guess I can't get nothin past ya..........:poke: