What knife do you guys use for carpet tile?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Robert Parsons, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Robert Parsons

Robert Parsons Pro Member

Im lookin to upgrade from the olfa knife that I currently use and was wondering what knife everyone is using on carpet tile specifically?

Although I like the olfa knife, I feel like the quality of blades for them are getting worse so I'm thinking it's time for a change.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I have 2 dexter 7’s that I keep in my pouch. One with a hooky and the other with a utility blade. They just feel right in the hand and blade changes are fairly quick. I cut down a couple of the knife holders that come with the gundlach shark and glued them into my pouch. They keep the blades from cutting through the leather pouch over time.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Carpet knife or orcon straight utility. But my quantities go down in thousands not hundreds of thousands so I’ll listen to the masters here

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I use an airway with a hook on it wall cuts and a Crain utility knife for doors and tights.

5. kylenelson

I’ve tried the hook but found myself pulling loops out of the end

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I used j channel for vinyl siding. Worked for me. You didn't say vinyl tile or carpet so I would say a razor knife with slotted blade. Sorry I see you did say carpet tile.

:old:

Daris

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Catalog

Stanley knife with a utility blade for the jambs and detail trimming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

Just a regular carpet knife here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

What Chris said, I used Dexter knives with a hook in one and heavy duty utility blade in the other. Of course, I did mostly vinyl installs.

10. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

for wall cuts I use the Goof proof wall trimmer. Man you can cut carpet tile so fast with that. You can adjust it, last job we did they wanted to leave the carpet cove base on the wall, with the Goof proof we were able to adjust it and still cut nice and net to wall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kylenelson

I need to dust mine off, only used it for a double stick job, didn’t really like that it was made of wood and the blade cut into it

12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought the Goof Proof Trimmer for just such jobs...........NET FIT to existing base----rubber, wood or metal.

Still haven't used it yet. Don't know what I'm waiting for. I will have to put my reading glasses on and read the instructions to set the blade angle. I hate putting on my reading glasses. So that's probably the reason.

Couple of years ago one of my apprentices had one I used the crap out of it. I fired him for being a crack (meth) head loser, totally unrelated to his wall trimmer. He got mad when I called him a crack head because he could never afford cocaine. His drug of choice was speed and I guess that must be cheaper.

13. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

The trimmers work pretty good. Take a scrap and set the blade, that way you won't have to practice on the good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I got two of them from the last sale they had. Specifically for carpet tile. Haven’t used yet either. There’s a utube video for it. My choice for utility would be this with the hook on handle. It’s about ergonomics, I’ll also buy the magnum 26” shear. Fn carpet tiles went to 24”, my 20” magnum was cutting carpet tiles nicely when they were 19-3/4”? They kinda snapped. Shear worked well for 4” carpet tile base, set the fence and chop away, flimsy vinyl insert for the top and boom cheap base.

I tried to find where it stated good proof trimmer for carpet tile. I think afterward I saw one thing saying for carpet tile. Probably because it’s tough to control and cut through simultaneously.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

.... gram for gram speed is more money. High to dollar ratio... cocaine wins the day.

Glad I could clear that up for ya :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I use a regular Roberts trimmer for trimming glue downs and carpet tile, its all in the wrist. Sure you get some glue on the guide that you need to watch but it cleans off.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I use my ninja sword for wall cuts & my sthil 20" farm boss for detail cuts.

Its always a fun day working with me;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

F yeah, That’s what I’m talkin bout! F that carpet tile, it’s not going to cause me pain or delay.

19. Mike Antonetti

The stuff is thick to manually cut through.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

A few years ago I had a installer call me from the east coast and wanted to know what to cut a certain type of tile with. He said he had a coffee can of blades just doing 100 yards. The only suggestion I could give him was to use the blade for utting underlyment with. Talked to him on the second part of the job and he said it was better but not perfect. I don't know what the tile was but I know he said there was glass in it.
    :old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1