what kind of floor is this?

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by ADR, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ADR

ADR New Member

I want to install click-and-lock vinyl planks and removed carpet to find vinyl tiles. I removed the vinyl tiles and have discovered some other floor underneath. Any advice on what this floor might be, and what I should do at this point to prepare the floor with a flat surface for vinyl planks? It almost looks like a parquet floor to me, no?

Attached Files:

2. All I see is adhesive, I have an area with vct and saw the doorway picture with carpet squares and thought it was a picture of my house. The area needs to be smooth, somewhat like an 80 grit sandpaper would leave otherwise glue ridges may show, also any grit underneath will make noise after plank are installed.

3. ADR

ADR New Member

But those squares in the floor are smaller than the squares of the vinyl I pulled up. It's some type of square material underneath.

4. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Unfortunately from those pictures it's hard to tell what that is. I can definitely see the trowel marks from spreading the glue to lay the VCT, but what is under the glue is very hard to see in those pictures. Maybe someone with better eyes can see it.

5. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

Parquet was typical to have a 12x12 piece that would have 4 sections each turned 90 degrees to each other, each equaling a 6x6 inch area.
    Is this room over concrete or wood floor?

6. Are they 9" squares? Then that would be a layer of Vinyl "probably" Asbestos Tile.

7. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

It appears to be old 9x9 VAT with adhesive residue on top from the floor you just pulled up.
    VAT=Vinyl Asbestos Tile
    And since you were able to rip up the tile above it without that floor coming up, you should be in good shape. I would simply scrape and sweep the floor very well, then give it a skim coat of portland based patch like Ardex Feather Finish.
    The VAT is fine to encapsulate and go over. I would skim coat the floor for 2 reasons. One would be to further encapsulate it, and Two, so you don't have any sticky residue from the adhesive that will surely be a noisy click floor while you walk on it.
    I'm basing my opinion on this due to both the size(9x9) and by the tile pattern you can see clearly at the doorway.
    Steve

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I can see that it's the 9" asbestos tiles------pretty sure that's what I see there. But the photo isn't clear. It could be parquet? Shoot us a better quality photo if you want but my solutions are going to be the same either way. If it's a nice, flat, solid substrate tearing it up would be pointless. Tap around with something heavy like a hammer to check that it's all down tight. Don't TRY to break anything loose. Just a tippy tap so as to see what's down there. If something breaks loose very easily and/or it's large sections or ALL fairly loose that's another story entirely.

Yeah, don't tear into them if you don't have to. They're covered and safe now with that old glue residue(encapsulated). Any lumps on top from your demo work have to be scraped away and then the whole substrate covered (skim coated) with patch.

Easy money

9. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Back in the 80's, Armstrong made a 9" tile called Glaze Craft. Just another possibility. I think we need better pictures, these old eyes are old.

10. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Why is there a copper pipe running around the base?

Sorry live in California... never seen a radiator before.

;)

11. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Hot water baseboard heat. Fairly common here in Michigan too.

12. Andres

Andres Pro Member

That has got to be a very old installation ,probably from the 80's.

13. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Andres I understand you are kind of new to the board and :welcome: but the 80's isn't very old to some of us. Ain't that right Jim??

:old:

Daris

14. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Funny guy

15. Andres

Andres Pro Member

Just saying .

16. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Hey, don't put me in the middle of this. :shifty: You are WAY older than me. :eek:

And you just keep on sayin'. Us younguns gotta stick together. :D

17. Incognito

9"x9" tiles were already rare by the '80s------even rarer in residential applications. I was a warehouseman/truck driver for a year at a large flooring store in Southern Connecticut 1978-1979. The store did both commercial and residential work. The only 9"x9" tiles I can recall handling were commercial asphalt asbestos which was ALREADY special order if I'm not mistaken. I didn't order materials but I sure handled them if they came through that shop. I recall seeing ZERO residential type VAT/VCT in 9"x9" size.

So I think we're more likely talking '60s or '70s for that original install over plywood.

On concrete they would have recommended asphalt asbestos.

18. Incognito

Now that I think of it we did install/handle SOME 9"x9" SOLID vinyl with that brick pattern. It was usually Kentile brand if I recall correctly. I don't believe there was asbestos in that and the reason I think that is I recall using epoxy adhesives or WET LAY with the Henry 356 to control the shrinking inherent in tiles that do not have asbestos as a primary component.

Armstong had that same brick pattern in a 9"x9" tile but aside from that what I see in the product line after 1973 all the tiles are 12"x12"

19. ptspurlock

ptspurlock Pro Member

It looks to be 9"X9" tile, probably asbestos tile since it was covered up with more tile instead of tearing it out. I would probably just skim coat the floor with patch, maybe mufti-coats, sand with a floor buffer and lay the floor

20. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Whoa!! What if it is asbestos and you skim coat it . Then you say sand the floor with buffer. What happens if it is asbestos and you was to go through the skim coat? You now have the asbestos airborne is what you don't want. Just saying..

:old:

Daris