What is the Best Tile Saw on Amazon.com?

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell Flooring Tools and Equipment' started by Jim McClain, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

I tried to find tile saws on eBay last week and was disappointed so many were no-name brands made in China. So now I am looking at tile saws on Amazon: Amazon.com: Tile & Masonry Saws

One of my future projects will, I hope, be to rebuild the shower in my bathroom. I'd like to do tile or ceramic, maybe a combination, on the walls and floor of the 4x3' space. I will likely also add a backsplash to the vanity. That may even lead me to do a ceramic backsplash in my area too.

For a guy who has not done ceramic and stone work before (I did a small entry and hearth in my previous home, but had all the slate cut for me), what tile saw would you recommend for this small project? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I do want the saw to do what I need it to do. I will prob'ly re-sell the saw when I am done with it. But because it takes me so long to do stuff because of my breathing, I doubt it would be cost effective to rent a saw - even if there was one closer than a 60 mile drive.

What do you think of this guy? Amazon.com: MK Diamond 157222 MK-170 1/3-Horsepower 7-Inch Bench Wet Tile Saw: Power & Hand Tools It's not the cheapest saw, but seems to have a good rating and a price that might fit my budget when I'm ready.

If you want to talk about pro quality saws and link to them, that's fine. But please limit the discussion to saws available on Amazon.com. So, what is the best tile saw for cutting ceramic tile and stone, in your opinion?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

MK is hard to beat. That's pretty much all I've used for 14 years now, except for a Felker that I use on small jobs. You should be able to get by just fine with that one. I'll do some more checking when I get home so I don't have to search on my phone.

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

I started with a QEP and it worked fine til I sold it. Then bought one of the china ones off ebay and it has worked fine for how much I use it. I haven't used it in a year now. I borrowed a target tile saw once, liked that saw.There was a good website that had all the tile saws listed, Construction Tools and Equipment for Professionals | ConstructionComplete Another place to look is pawn shops, a tile installer told me he couldn't believe how many saws they had.

4. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

There's a couple old target saws in our pawn shop. Just put new hoses and a pump on mine. They seem to last forever. Got a serpentine edge for ten bucks at one last week. I would check there first. Just make sure it all works right. You might feel a big 10" saw is too much but depending on what you go with It could make your life easier.

5. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.