What floor to chose?

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by ReluctantDIYer, Nov 23, 2017.

1. We live in the Houston (TX) suburbs and flooded during Hurricane Harvey. House is 18 yrs old and never flooded before. We didn't have flood insurance and got minimal $ from FEMA so are planning to do as much of the rebuilding as possible ourselves. Cost and ease of installation are very important to us but so is re-sale value. Pre-flood, comps in my neighborhood were going for around $300-$325K.

We have abt 2100 sf to floor. Subfloor is at-grade concrete (no basements in Houston). Plan to pay to have master bedroom carpeted, the rest will be some type of "hard floor". We are folks who build things for fun but husband has reasonable knowledge of tools and house fixing stuff and can fix anything with wheels. Me, not so much! I did manage to put down TrafficMaster plank vinyl a couple of years ago which we knew was going to have to come up before we sold the house (see note above abt re-sale value) but not quite so soon :-(

What would y'all recommend for something that is reasonably durable (we have a 20 lb dog and 2 cats), easy to put down, and isn't going to break the bank BUT doesn't make my house less appealing to buyers? We're open to using one floor in the living areas and something different in the wet areas (kitchen, bath, laundry room).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I would put down vinyl gluedown plank. I believe it could withstand a flood. Not positive as there’s s lot in the flood water.

As long as the vinyl has a certified health label.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks! We're not worried abt repeat flooding. If it floods again, we're selling the house as is and moving (not kidding).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I like you attitude!!!
    Fool me once right?
    I agree with Mike. Vinyl plank is a good choice and is reasonably priced. It is becoming very popular in residential and if you do not require a lot of prep work on the concrete is is relatively user friendly. Styles are endless and the hardest part is just picking one. :)

A glue trowel and utility knife will get you 99% of the way there. Us here at Floor Pro can push you that other 1%

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

THE Floor Pro. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

OK, so I am lazy. Cut a fellow some slack brother :)

T H E floor pro.

....either way. We will help you, even if we cannot help ourselves :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Yeah, we were evacuated by boat and had a foot of water in the house for a week. It's 3 months post storm and we have unfinished drywall, no kitchen, and are spending all our savings to repair. Ain't NO WAY we're doing this again!

I like the ease of vinyl plank installation but I'm concerned that it might have a negative impact on our re-sale value.

We found an engineered floating click-lock that we liked but the installation instructions say it had to have a T transition in any runs over 30'. The run from our front door to the back of the house is more than that but we don't love the idea of breaking up the space with a transition.

The "thing" around here seems to be wood-look tile but I'm a bit worried abt laying tile.

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You have fire insurance:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We run longer than 30 ft on t moldings often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’ve lived on concrete for a few years in living room, dining room. Carpeted bedrooms right away. I went through all the decisions of types of flooring, was even going to trowel a topping and polish. The slab was not aesthetically acceptable. It was not flat, soft. I finally found a deal with gluedown theatre carpet and the wife agreed.

Current situation(different house) replaced one bedroom with duraceramic, living room has carpet which I just had cleaned due to indecision of new flooring. MBR still indecisive. It is difficult to choose no matter what the situation, it’s a battle between all factors.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SO true! Friends who didn't flood seem to think of this as a "fun" opportunity to re-do the house exactly as I'd like like it. The reality is quite different. Far too many choices!

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

There is a new product hitting the USA that is liquid vinyl. Starting in Texas, some designer posted on LinkedIn about it and I researched it and found it to be this product.

Duracryl International BV