What does everyone recommend as a LVT/LVP cleaner

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Woopigsooie00, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

I am looking for a great all around cleaner for LV. I know the tired and true Apple Cider Vinegar and water is good but is there a retail product that is worth anything that only cleans and adds nothing to the top of the floor?
    I have seen a lot of people have been victims to the Rejuvenate (we dont use wax its a water/polymer based product) but they dont tell you it still causes a floating build up on your floor.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Here is a trade secret... water.

Water is the only thing you should ever need to clean a urethane surface. Water and a microfiber cloth or flat mop head. Apple cider or any other such vinegar is a no go in my books and will damage your floors. Again, I don't have imperial evidence of this but I sure have a bias.

3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Water is the way to go, you can also get a product from the manufacturer like Armstrong's Once n Done - our store carries a similar private label floor cleaner which is super mild. I'd agree though, water is your friend.

4. 1/4 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of water. If you need to clean up something "sticky" then you increase to 1/2 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of water. No buildup, no haze. Essentially the 1/4 cup of ammonia would be the equivalent of the "Neutral Cleaner" that everyone recommends. The 1/2 cup concentration would be approaching the pH of what would be considered a stripper from back when we waxed floors. You can buy a gallon of ammonia from Dollar General for like $1.50. Will last quite awhile. The branded products out there essentially start with this formulation for their products then begin "tweaking" the formula. These tweaks are typically where the buildup comes from because they begin to put in additives that create a "shinier" appearance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Once and Done all the way.

6. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

Okay that is easy enough

7. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

Talked to Halstead International (Allure) the company that makes my luxury vinyl planks. They recommended using only two types of cleaners. "We recommend using a new pH floor cleaner that is safe for vinyl. The two that we recommend are ZEP Neutral floor cleaner and OdoBan No-Rinse Neutral pH floor cleaner." Seen Zep but never heard of Odoban.

8. Mark Brown

So, basically what they told you is the same information as @Commercial Floor Rep that and i'm willing the bet the HD sells those products.

9. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

That's exactly what I was thinking and Home Depot does sell them. I thought it was kinda of weird they chose those two tho. Haha

10. I wanted to add something...NEVER, under any circumstances mix ammonia with bleach. I only add this because I told someone about the ammonia and water I mentioned above and she thought it would "make it clean better" if she added some bleach. Ammonia and bleach make a toxic vapor called Chloramine vapor. It can literally kill you. (No the person I told didn't die)

Ok you can return back to your regularly scheduled posting now. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mark Brown

I tell people all the time to mix ammonia and bleach.... at least those that take too long to pay!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Which allure floor do you have? Click or grip strip. You have to be very careful with the grip strip flooring since excessive moisture will cause the grip strips to fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mike Antonetti

Odoban is a base name, by Zep. Been using for odors for years, then the name gets brand and they diversify products by that name. Even use it in my laundry ever now and again.

14. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

I have the fully glue down planks

15. Chris 45

Non floating floor? As in the installer used a trowel to spread adhesive then the planks were laid into the adhesive.

16. Woopigsooie00

Woopigsooie00 Member

Non floating and the actually plank is self sticking with adhesive under it

17. Chris 45

Not sure I’m familiar with that exact product. Which specific product do you have?

18. Mike Antonetti

Sounds like Lowe’s to me.

19. Mark Brown

it's a home Depot thing, we just installed a bunch of it in their cash office and vault locations. Got contracted through a third party. We glued it with pressure sensitive to make sure it stuck. Decent milling and what have you.

20. Mike Antonetti

My brother Pete put it (Lowe’s brand) in one of his houses, that stuff shrunk bad.

Vinyl shrinks everywhere, here’s a urologist office. Many other Drs to visit will be inspecting.

Attached Files: