What do YOU call it?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by TwoStar, Aug 11, 2018.

  1. TwoStar

    TwoStar Maybe Three

    I was helping a customer in the store this morning and they asked to see "rug".
    I happen to know that 30 miles to the NE that "rug" is sheet vinyl, and, yes, back in the day I have driven 45 miles with my carpet tools to install some rug, only to show up and see the sheet vinyl rolled up and waiting patiently for me to lay it in the kitchen.

    Funny thing is if you travel 20 miles to the NW from here they call it anoleum...

    SO...question is, what are the terms for flooring you have in your area that probably wouldn't be understood elsewhere?
  2. Chris 45

    Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

    Pergo was generic for laminate even if it wasn’t Pergo. Linoleum has been referred to as vinyl before and down here all soda is referred to as coke.
  3. Jim McClain

    Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

    "Linoleum" seems to be only one of 4 terms for flooring used here. "Wood floors" refer to any flooring that even looks like wood; "tile" refers to any stone or ceramic flooring (or wall covering); "rug" refers to any floor covering with a fuzzy top, even if it's wall-to-wall broadloom; and "linoleum" refers to just about everything else.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mark Brown

    Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

    I'm with Jim. That about sums it up.
    Toss in Plank to mean anything vinyl and in pieces and you about have it.

    See, I can't help myself when dealing with people so I go so far as to call things why they are.

    Broadloom - Carpet
    Roto-Vinyl - Vinyl
    Linoleum - Linoleum

    It infact drives me crazy when people call Vinyl Lino unless they are over 65 and more than likely had patterned Linoleum at one point in their life.

    Still love to hear it called battleship from time to time, Do they even still make AAA gauge??
  5. Mike Antonetti

    Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

    For me rug means area rug. Stretch in is called carpet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tom Potter

    Tom Potter I Support TFP

    Linoleum for sheet goods, ceramic for all tile, luan for underlayment is a few off the top of my head.

    I can honestly say I have never heard anyone call sheet goods "rug". I could see the frustration/confusion that could come with that.
    • Agree Agree x 1

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.