What did you LEARN at work today?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Commercial Floor Rep, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Besides the great people I've met and continue to meet in this industry, one of my favorite things about it is that there is always something new to learn.

Today I learned that with our main engineered wood line that if I have a less than 3/4" wood subfloor, that I can add a layer of 5/16" plywood over that and it will be suitable to install our engineered hardwood over.

Let's hear what you learned today!:yesss:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Do you just need to add another layer to meet a minimum thickness? Your house has 5/8" and the product requires 3/4" minimum so you add an acceptable layer of underlayment until you meet or exceed 3/4"? If you are adding layers, do you still have the same strength for things like deflection? Will two 1/2" layers meet or exceed the strength of one 1" layer?

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Yes, just add another layer to hit a minimum thickness of 3/4". You install it across the existing substrate which adds to the rigidity of the substrate, that's the recommendation over 16" & 19" OC construction.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I learned a lot about grinding past few days, grinding epoxy eats my diamond blades, not knowing what's on slab requires various blade changeouts to try to break the surface. And the saying "Diamonds are forever" doesn't apply but they still cost a lot.

5. Commercial Floor Rep

On Friday I learned that one of Mapei's other divisions actually makes a concrete moisture blocking additive. In talking to the rep on the adhesive and patch side though, they don't really have products that can go directly over these additives and hold warranty. In speaking with the rep, you essentially have to shot blast and put a moisture proofing type of system down over the concrete in order for their patch and adhesives to hold warranty, just like everyone else.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Yesterday I learned the importance of checking the amount of free space I have on a hard drive occasionally. You'da thought a geek like me woulda lernt this many years ago, but nooooooo.

Open file explorer and click on This PC. It will list your drives and how much free space you have left. It's best to have at least 10% of your drive free. The drive I keep all my data (pictures, documents, videos, music, backups of all TFP files & pictures) is down to less than 8% free. I was wondering why my computer was getting sluggish.

I can't add any new photos, my favorite thing to do, until I replace that drive with a larger one. I ordered a new drive last night. NOT how I wanted to spend 200 bucks at the end of the month (or anytime, really). But the new drive is 8 times the size of the current drive, so I prob'ly won't have to worry about that again for...EVER.

Even though a drive is supposed to hold 500 GB (in this case), it actually can only access 476 GB. Ten percent of that is about 48 GB that should be free, or hopefully more. I have a little over 35 GB free on that drive. I didn't realize I had 276 GB of photos (my camera makes photos that weigh 20-40 MB ea. and those I process can grow to 100 MB or more). I have a portable drive that I can use to temporarily transfer files to, but juggling shouldn't be part of computer maintenance.

Check your drives' free space. Don't risk losing data.

7. Commercial Floor Rep

My first computer had no hard drive and my second computer had a 27MB HD. My how times have changed. :) My current computer has 2 - 2TB HD a 512GB solid state drive and a 4TB file server on my home network and I have a 2TB external drive that I can move stuff to if I need to move something big between that PC and my Surface Pro. It's amazing how much space pictures take up.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

This is more like what I NEVER learn even when a ton of bricks falls on my head three zillion times;

So working through a commercial shop as an hourly employee you NEED to understand that it's not YOUR job (project). There is a certain limit to the amount of control------and therefore responsibility you have for the series of choices that affect both production/efficiency and quality.

At any given time, and this has happened to me more times than Charlie Brown got the football pulled away from him by Lucy the shop can................do whatever the hell they want. That includes bouncing you around from site to site like a MF ping pong ball.

So I'm learning slowly but I am learning to...............let go.

For those of you "contractors" who are looking over the fence at how green the grass looks I can tell you from over here it's not so much fun NOT being in charge as you might imagine.

9. Mike Antonetti

I relate that to the big box home improvement store employees, basically the higher ups there when they changeout end caps, aisle products etc./ oh hell, the military too for that matter. But I ask myself how they tolerate that, they just changed that around the other day and they're changing it again. That doesn't sit well in the brain category section with me.

I think whenever they're beating you down it needs to be brought to attention to higher ups, look, you're running us ragged right now, something needs to change. You've made them some serious cash the past few since you started there, I hope they charge accordingly.

I learned that we try to lower price on labor but got burned, basically we got paid for labor but equipment usage (wear and tear)was free. Similar to Lucy, we keep tryin!

10. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

What kind of tile are we laying today boss man ? .....Futile ;) because,
    " Resistance is Futile"

Thanks for the reminder Incog. Just remember, If the Dolly Lama was an hourly floor covering installer being paddled around California job sites, like you are :mad: he would even be tested to " Let Go "

Keep learning, and remember the alternate nostril breathing technique
    :p......... who knows, maybe while exhaling hard, you could accidentally spray boogers all over the boss :p :D

Mike

11. Commercial Floor Rep

Incog, I feel your pain. In most people's eyes where I work I'm 3rd in command and my goal is to own this company some day. I've always approached my job from the perspective of ...how would I want it done if it were my company? It's a double edged sword. On one side it's helped me grow from a warehouse employee to running the commercial side of our business. But, on the other side there is a ton of stress and responsibility that comes along with it.

I have an extremely hard time when dealing with claims, because essentially I'm the "monkey in the middle". My customers look at me as their resource and to them I'm the face of the vendor whose product they are using. When things go sideways they don't call the manufacturer, they call me. So, I'm constantly put into this roll of being the go between and I have the least amount of control of the situation. I didn't install the job and I didn't make the product nor can I make the ultimate decision on how it's going to be resolved. It weighs on you when you feel the flooring contactor did the job right but the manufacturer insists it isn't their fault and vice versa. I have true friends on both sides. It's like trying not to take sides in a family fight. Ultimately you just have to do the right thing and be honest. But it's still not fun to go through. Aging and about $20,000 worth of bills from my shrink and I've finally started to be able to let it go in the last couple of years. :)

12. Chris 45

I learned that as of April 1, Oregon is now requiring ALL vinyl tiles (9x9 and 12x12) and ALL vinyl sheet goods must be tested for asbestos if the house is 2004 or older. I see a lot of 1/4" plywood in my future.

13. Mike Antonetti

Why would a state require something on April Fools day?

One more day at Dustram, learning a lot, then flying in to Orlando for Coverings a couple days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  14. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I like that wagon Mike
    Yours?
    Wish it was yours? :)

15. Mike Antonetti

Not mine, but now on my priority list. Among many other things. When you think your doing ok, then you get a different perspective, I am so doing things at a first grade level.

16. Mike Antonetti

Learned how to not damage kitchen cabinets and cut a radius with a toekick saw to remove gluedown hardwood installed over an island. What I didn't learn was how to cut an exact straight line in hardwood despite tape, marking, and staying on line. I believe tile will but to hardwood in pantry.

Attached Files:

17. Chris 45

Wondering how you did the radius with the toekick saw. I'm picturing that thing kicking like a bronco.

18. Mike Antonetti

I was pretty upset the Island wasn't planned to remove. The protective plate was thin aluminum and that wrapped around the radius, held at one end with the worm drive saw (available weight). I guess there is about 1/16" between blade and edge of guard, so the guard was pushing plate against cabinet. The other side of plate I had duct tape to prevent scratches. The blade did eat into plate in spots so I was careful with pressure, and cutting in different spots on plate. I figured blade would catch the plate bottom and kick it in the air, but it didn't, also figured I'd have to oscillate tool the radius. Just kept the blade/saw at a 90 degree angle to the radius and followed it around the curve, didn't kick at all, lucky I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I hate tear outs. You must be a master at them at this point in your career, mike.

20. Mike Antonetti

Kyle it's kinda easier in a way that installing is much more difficult to make products look and perform correctly, aesthetics and function working hand in hand. When I leave some jobs, the floor is not flat, the tile,wood and setting material is removed but additional prep is needed prior to putting the pretty stuff down. I really can't get into talking about what the installer/homeowner should do, I give a little guidance like treating cracks, my responsibility ends at the removal. Right now I'm not too busy, so investments on equipment/training have stopped. Wanted to go to water damage restoration today-thurs. 400$, travel 100 miles one way,etc. that class incorporates into many situations, humidity in my home, jobsite(sweating) hurricane season.